Basic garden room insulated slab

daiking

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

50mm would do in this case - just get it down to solid ground. 

Its going to take a lot more digging than that to get to "solid ground". 50mm? may as well make it 100mm if you're going to the trouble of getting some sub base and having to hire a whacker.  

6 hours ago, joe90 said:

If you’re worried about settlement just bung some steel mesh in your slab, won’t go anywhere!!

I wasn't worried until now. 

• Haha 1

I’m down to where I was planning on digging to. So only only another 100mm to go. 

Between work and the weather forecast it looks like today is the day I need to lay the blocks. First time for everything.

I've gone with blocks as you can’t see them and it sounded easier but think now I should have tried bricks as the bond pattern would have given more strength especially at the corners. 

the cabin has a ‘sole plate’ of sorts. Tempted to stagger this across the corner block and fix with concrete screws to give it something extra.

8923D62C-1B82-47C0-B918-D3307CACB48B.jpeg

• Like 1

You can notch blocks with an angle grinder to interlock at the corners. (The lightweight ones you can cut with an old saw). Blocks are a lot quicker tbh. How many blocks high, one?

Edited by Onoff

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

You can notch blocks with an angle grinder to interlock at the corners. (The lightweight ones you can cut with an old saw). Blocks are a lot quicker tbh. How many blocks high, one?

It would be quicker if I didn't (expletive deleted) it up.

After marking out something resembling a rectangle playing around with sand and cement until I had something resembling a mortar that looked a bit like something I had seen on youtube I set laying the blocks on a downward slope. Lost about 10mm over 6 blocks so I had to knock them all over, clean off the mortar, clean up the concrete base, everything else I had dirtied and pack up for the day. ITs only going to be 1 block high so I can't even it up on the next row, has to be perfect from the off. I think the corners are higher than the middle of each side and I probably should have left the first block in place but its too late now. 

Got an idea for when I can get out next to keep it level. 

Edited by daiking

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Pythagoras is your friend for making sure it's square.

He never answers my calls, the (expletive deleted)er. 

People always say that because yes, its a geometric proof but he's never there when you need him to hold the other end of the line, is he? It was a lot easier this time around to get it square on something relatively level, using blocks at the corners rather than string and pound shop tent pegs over an un-level garden. 

Edited by daiking

The ground is getting worse the more I dig ? . (expletive deleted) it. It’s getting hardcore put in the middle in the rain tomorrow and everything crossed.assuming I can fill and whack in the rain.

was planning to whack the earth before putting any stone in it but don’t want to lose it in the wet mud

1044BFBC-18B9-4897-9512-7A51967A1125.jpeg

1 hour ago, daiking said:

First of 3 bags down and a couple of whacked runs up down them left right 

1C3493BE-D206-4673-A8CB-318C7AE3E9A1.jpeg

Almost looks like you know what you're doing! ?

Be real careful whacking if you've got the blocks bedded down. It can crack the mortar.

Now's a good time to get rid of any off bags of cement, plaster, grout etc along with bits of old crockery, flower pots, glass (if well buried) and that particular ornament of your wife's you secretly hate...

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Almost looks like you know what you're doing! ?

Be real careful whacking if you've got the blocks bedded down. It can crack the mortar.

Now's a good time to get rid of any off bags of cement, plaster, grout etc along with bits of old crockery, flower pots, glass (if well buried) and that particular ornament of your wife's you secretly hate...

blocks - left them unlaid after last disaster for exactly that reason. 

was not going to put anything extra in as it should have been the right amount but still got some low slots so might have to Chuck in the aborted block mortar and extra concrete bits from the footings and some bags of sand I’ve been using as gazebo ballast.

the stone didn’t arrive till 2 and the guy had the small wagon so he had to offload on the street not out drive so it was even further away. Still got all 3 bags emptied and whacked by 6 between me and the wife which was not bad going at all. We even had time to paint some fence, paint the shed and transplant a couple of Laurel after finishing digging out the pit. Done about 3 days work in a day but it has been a nice day here.

• Like 4

Need to get at this first thing I. The morning before I get stuck in the kitchen all day.

Last week I was afraid of making my mortar to wet so it was a bit dry and stiff which meant i couldn’t get a peaked line of mortar down on the concrete, which meant I couldn’t furrow it properly and was just trying to put my blocks on a fat slug of mortar. Hence all sorts of problems keeping them straight not leaning as well as the unfortunate fall. 

So tomorrow’s attempt will be with a wetter mortar and trying to set a line at the correct height, somehow. I’ve got 3/4 of a bag of cement and 3 bags of sand left so I hope that’s enough if I don’t mess it up again. Would love to be able to get the concrete barrow boys in on Tuesday for the slab.

Mortar consistency is a major thing fir good block/brick laying (so I learnt from my brilliant builder). He left the mix in the machine for quite some time to get air into the mix and added some lime to make it “light”. Admix of some sort helps make a good consistency. Best of luck ?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Wot I said. That Toolstation one I linked makes it "creamy" and "stickier" (though it de-aerates).

Can’t I just use fairy liquid? ? I’m only making a tiny amount 

11 minutes ago, daiking said:

Can’t I just use fairy liquid? ? I’m only making a tiny amount 

NO! It's shit and weakens the mortar.

It's less than a fiver:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone-cemplas-mortar-plasticiser-dark-brown-5ltr/63831?

https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-202-integral-liquid-waterproofer/p80460

Stick any leftover on Freegle. 

I usually add like a litre to a builders bucket of water and use that.

Besides proper stuff probably costs less than Fairy anyway. I'd be putting it in the slab mix too. The de-aerating qualities saves a lot of tamping to get the air out. Why aren't you mixing your own concrete for the slab. 8'x10' slab. Done in about 4 hours on my own.

SAM_7132_zps2ae605a5

SAM_7205_zps445c3fb8

SAM_7207_zps73a4bc70

I think actually the waterproofer I used was Sika, scored off a site in that big yellow 25l tub.

SAM_7212_zps3a6843e2

I then used the Everbuild waterproofer below for the brickwork:

SAM_7226_zps53ad3011

• Like 1