Loft conversion - minimum height 2.2m - why?

A variety of sites - such as this one - claim that the minimum ceiling height after a conversion must be 2.2m due to building regulations.

What happens if my loft is 2.1m and I ... insert a bed and some wallpaper anyway?

- Will I not (officially) be allowed to call it a livable bedroom?

- Will I not get permission to change any external features - windows or dormers etc (If I keep all works internal I don't have to even apply for planning I think?)?

- Or is it actually illegal somehow? 

- Or is it just mildly cramped?

Thank you all, interesting stuff. I tend to agree that 2.20 is probably a good minimum height for "comfortable living" that doesn't feel cramped. That said, the loft in my previous place was 2m10 and no major issues arose other than me being able to hit the lamp with my head if I stood on tippy toes. 

That document is incorrect and misleading. Assuming you’re referring to Page 3, it states...

”The main thing that any loft professional will be looking for is whether the tallest part of your unconverted loft will be less than 2.2m high by the time a new floor has been fitted and the ceiling has been insulated and plastered. If it’s lower, there won’t be enough headroom to meet planning regulation requirements.”

I believe it should read “the tallest part of your converted loft”. Also, the headroom doesn’t have anything to do with ‘planning regulation requirements’ or whatever those are. There is not a minimum ceiling height but only headroom to a stair. Headroom is generally 2m but can be reduced to 1.8m at the edge and 1.9m in the middle. However, those regulations normally apply to loft conversions and not new build lofts.

Edited by DevilDamo

Just for information the headroom requirement pre 85 was 2.3m to habitable rooms only, it did not apply to hallways, utility rooms, kitchens etc..  There were some different regs for lofts to do with the percentage of the floor area that had to have full headroom but I can't remember them anymore.
They were thrown out in 85 along with zones of open space to windows, thankfully!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

If you loft is currently 2M to the apex then no.  Under building regs you need 2M headroom on the stairs all the way up to the "landing" and your present 2M headroom will reduce when you reinforce the almost certainly inadequate "floor" joists there at the moment, and insulate the roof.

There are sollutions that basically take the roof off and put a "box" on the roof that is higher than the original roof.  They look awful and you might not even get planning permission because of that.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

If you loft is currently 2M to the apex then no.  Under building regs you need 2M headroom on the stairs all the way up to the "landing" and your present 2M headroom will reduce when you reinforce the almost certainly inadequate "floor" joists there at the moment, and insulate the roof.

There are sollutions that basically take the roof off and put a "box" on the roof that is higher than the original roof.  They look awful and you might not even get planning permission because of that.

I *think* this depends on where you are (england, scotland) - scottish building regs seem to be a lot tighter. 

Also it's sometimes possible to get exceptions. It's worth investigating.

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

So it can be converted but I’ll have to have a pull down stairs instead? Can it be converted to have proper ventilation ?