Minimum truss spacing for readymade fancy loft ladder.

I have been fitting the long bracing timbers into my roof structure today and before fully fixing the two trusses over the landing I thought it best to check I will be able to fit a loft ladder and slide an MVHR unit between the joists.

The problem is that my attic trusses over the landing are a chunky 50mm thick. One truss is 5mm out of position hence spaced 605mm on centres resulting in a 55.5 cm gap for the frame of a loft ladder. Is this wide enough? If not I could slide one truss an extra 10mm over with a lump hammer to widen the gap, (yes I will re plumb the verticals of any moved truss).

I think the simple answer is it depends on the loft ladder width and size of your MVHR!!!? just measured mine and it’s 550mm wide frame packed out between 600mm joists. I would not want it any narrower than mine.

Edited by joe90

On 08/11/2020 at 15:50, PeterW said:

@epsilonGreedy this is a bargain at the moment if you have a trade card, even at £99 it’s good value. 

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Youngman-Timberline-Loft-Ladder-Access-Kit/p/183453

Thanks and @joe90likes his.

I might fit one as soon as the roof is slated. The extra ££ for the attic trusses is beginning to look like a wise investment, the space created is larger than I anticipated even though headroom room is 5ft.

@epsilonGreedy is yours a warm roof? If so the storage in the loft is an asset IMO, saves masses of cupboards in the house and with an easy usable loft ladder easily accessible. A good place fir the MVHR if you’re fitting one and mo need to insulate the pipework (apart from the incoming pipes from the outside) ?

18 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@epsilonGreedy is yours a warm roof? If so the storage in the loft is an asset IMO, saves masses of cupboards in the house and with an easy usable loft ladder easily accessible. A good place fir the MVHR if you’re fitting one and mo need to insulate the pipework (apart from the incoming pipes from the outside) ?

Not a warm roof by design but as I look at a useful storage area I am starting to consider how it can be partitioned into a semi warm space. Just need to ensure I don't create temperate damp space.

• Like 1