No Architrave ?

Dave Jones

It’s is quite practical and gives a very sharp finish for not a lot of money 

I’ve done this on a few houses and carried the detail 15 mil above the skirting 

Quite common on offices Coffee  shops etc Simply use a stop end edge bead that taps onto the end of the plasterboards 

9 minutes ago, nod said:

It’s is quite practical and gives a very sharp finish for not a lot of money 

I’ve done this on a few houses and carried the detail 15 mil above the skirting 

Quite common on offices Coffee  shops etc Simply use a stop end edge bead that taps onto the end of the plasterboards 

Do you just run the stop end bead past the PB across the edge of the door lining or run the PB with stop end across the door lining?

5 mil onto the casing 

We normally butt 150x15 ply around the casing and run a bead of acoustic sealer onto the ply Then drive some screws through the pb the following day 

Partitions Simply double board 

Just looking to see if I’ve any picks 

We did a 18000 sq ft house overlooking Lake Windermere 

I will post them if I find some 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, on this topic , we also want no architrave at doorways . Our doorways are 100mm block. The walls on the outside of each door/ the hall side will be mortar finish whilst the internals of the rooms will have mortar plus skim.

how do I achieve this look. I see plasterboard mentioned here but there will be no plasterboard in mine. 
the only thing I can think of is … set door frames.., mortar to door frames…Then run the skim over the mortar door frame joint to a stop bead at the end..???
Any help appreciated . 

• 1 year later...

Morning @nod. I don't suppose you ever found any photos of this setup? I'm struggling to visualise the setup and am currently at this stage of my build. We have flush pocket doors and stupidly suggested we do the same on normal doors to match, rather than shadowgaps. I've found a ready-made profile (EzyJamb SRC) but at £500 a pop ( I need 10!l it's rather expensive! 

Any help much appreciated.

On 01/11/2020 at 20:48, nod said:

5 mil onto the casing 

We normally butt 150x15 ply around the casing and run a bead of acoustic sealer onto the ply Then drive some screws through the pb the following day 

Just looking to see if I’ve any picks 

We did a 18000 sq ft house overlooking Lake Windermere 

I will post them if I find some 

• 1 month later...
On 01/11/2020 at 22:48, nod said:

Do you have a sketch of this in cross section that I could wrap my head around please?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18/12/2023 at 21:05, markharro said:

Hi @sean1933 did you use this EzyJamb product? I was considering it as well but didnt realise it was £500 per door kit!

Hi Mark, sorry for the slow reply I didn't see the notification.

In short - this is still on the jobs list (for various reasons I had to take some time away from the build) but I wont be going for the EzyJamb product as the price is ridiculous. I planned to trial a custom setup with some plaster in QIC trims - I'm double boarding everywhere so with some ply behind to tie in the door frame to studwork I'd like to think it can be made rigid enough to not crack out - I think this is the principle NOD talked about above but I've struggled to picture his exact proposed setup.

• 1 month later...

We did this in our hallway and did half of this in our kids bathroom. Would have preferred not to have any skirting tiles, but with the kids throwing water around in here, felt like that was asking for trouble.

IMG_7549.thumb.jpeg.824d20b7191ca4ad752746365f8883c3.jpeg
You only notice the skirting when you look right down. 
I will try and post a pic of the hallway wall on the other side of this door, which has no skirting or architrave.

Edited by Adsibob

Will look better once the tiny plinth of wooden floor between the door and the bathroom is stained black to match the framing of the walk on glazing, but this is low down on the “to-do” list…
IMG_7550.thumb.jpeg.eb34d3a7aa443d383f35c262f0023605.jpeg

Edited by Adsibob
  • Like 1