Loading out

Faz

Well, 13,000 bricks arrived  today on an artic which refused to back into the site.  Had to sort it of the road.  Offload went ok with the forks with one pack a bit mangled by the hiab which let go at the back of the site.  Spent the afternoon stacking bricks onto a pallet.

Waved off the artic load of 7n blocks due tomorrow to the mech yard to drop off as and when - it looks like they have swallowed the cost! 20T of sand that was due tomorrow came today after I was gone - it been dropped in the right place by a miracle.  Trench Blocks, cement, wall ties etc arrive tomorrow.  Steel frame on my bit comes in tomorrow and brickie kicks off Tuesaday.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Have a long hard think about what lintels you might need and get then on site ASAP

+1

Send your lintel schedule to 2 or 3 suppliers well in advance.  It is a big discount market and you can get really stiffed if you need one in a hurry.

Lintel schedule should be on the plans. I use Condell for them and send a list and get them all together on one order - usually get best price and merchant can’t match it. Plans get marked up and they then get sprayed with a number and the blockwork next to the opening gets the same treatment so there is no mix up as to what goes where. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the thoughts guys - we had a long lead in on this job so I spent the time getting most of the prices together from all and sundry. Quite useful as I now have no spare time at all even getting up at 5am!  Brickies rocked up today and the rain cleared up as the trench blocks arrived and we are just about out of the ground on the first plot - you get through a fair bit with 3 laying and 1 mixing!

I reckon that we will be out of the ground and waiting for the beam & block (well poly in my case) by the end of next week.  Floorspan are on a week or so lead on their eFloor so I will need to pull the trigger on that one soon.

Turns out that Cambs Water intend to connect up the 3 supplies starting tomorrow - they didn't tell me - I heard from the next door site - ordered a load of 25mm mDPE pipe this evening for the job as you want to minimise connections if possible but it won't be here until Thurs am - I think the water board are just going to have to suck it up.  tbh the guys doing the connections next door seemed fairly happy to spend a lot of the day sitting in their van so I can't imagine it is going to be a problem.

• 1 month later...

Just by way of an update, we are up to splash on all 3 and the gas membrane is now completed throughout (final plot completed yesterday after I took the photo).

UFH on Monday and concrete screed Thursday.  Need to spread out the A142 mesh for the garages prior to Thursday and then a day back before Christmas to get the foot scaffold in and that wraps me up until 2021 - happy days!

Membrane.jpg

Sawing.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all - sorry been on site all week and haven't had time to drop by here. The copper pipe is the gas pipe - runs underneath to poly top sheet and gas membrane.

Brickie - you are spot on mate - there is going to be a lot of ground to make up. The issue we had is the planners insisting that FFL was 300mm above ground and then the next 300mm constructed using flood resilient construction. Our solution was to jack up the FFL to over 600mm above ground.

Anyway - good progress this week - membrane completed, screeded and the blocking lift nearly complete - back on site tomorrow to finish off.

UFL.jpg

Screed.jpg

Foot scaffold.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Time flies - even through the winter. Anyway - nice to get the scaffold down. And what a terrible winter it has been to be standing in a field on the Fen!

20210428_153916.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Attic roof, dormers and windows complete.  1st fix Monday.

Those Alu windows were seriously heavy with the glass in place - had to boom some in with the forks at the back over the scaffold - a bit hairy lifting a £1k slider 14m in the air!

The full on transition from basically winter to the height of summer this week has taken it's toll on me and everyone else on site - it is a nightmare.

P3 windows.jpg

• Like 3