Plasterboarding and Finishing recommendations

revelation

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

Tacking is screwing boards to stud, I have included in my total costs but not the m2 getting boards into the house, which is extra.

Its 160m2 floor area house, and does not include a full height atrium that will get done once I get a bird cage in there.

Guys doing the skim are the same guy who rendering and the render is very nice. 

I would be very happy with those prices if you have seen their work.

7 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Is that including materials?

I am getting my house boarded out next week, and skim to follow with the following labour rates, with me getting all materials to site.

Tacking - £3m2

Dabbing - £4m2

Acoustic Insulation - £1.50m2

Skim - £6m2

I have about 330m2 to do and my rough overall costings is about £7.5k for it all including materials.

For the skimming and materials (multifinish, beading, tape) onto the boards i think its comes to about £9m2.

That's both including material after the VAT reclaim.

I have about 830m2 to cover. £8m2 for walls and celings for taping and filling including materials. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2022 at 09:03, Moonshine said:

This is the board / skim finish after a couple of days, pretty tidy to my eye.

20221222_083059_compress13.thumb.jpg.4cb4eff333064b99c0917bc27ff94462.jpg20221222_083110_compress8.thumb.jpg.d783f894536deed00a224ebf6e8f3c8c.jpg

Mine looked good when plastered then looked crap when painted and had light shining down it - of course well after I'd paid them for the plastering. Next time...

You’ll never get a spread who can lay on plaster that doesn’t have a bit of a wobble when immediately highlighted by someone shining light down / towards / across it. 
You should have a painter / decorator who will understand these issues and undertake a bit of pole-sanding wherever necessary.

Turn the light away and watch the finish immediately become ‘acceptable’. Get a torch and shine it down walls that you’re comparing this too, and see how quickly you realise that they’re also less than perfect when “under the spotlight” ;)  

A bit of sanding and filling is not unheard of where things like this occur, so suck it up and be realistic folks!!!! 

On 04/01/2023 at 17:37, Nickfromwales said:

You’ll never get a spread who can lay on plaster that doesn’t have a bit of a wobble when immediately highlighted by someone shining light down / towards / across it. 
You should have a painter / decorator who will understand these issues and undertake a bit of pole-sanding wherever necessary.

Turn the light away and watch the finish immediately become ‘acceptable’. Get a torch and shine it down walls that you’re comparing this too, and see how quickly you realise that they’re also less than perfect when “under the spotlight” ;)  

A bit of sanding and filling is not unheard of where things like this occur, so suck it up and be realistic folks!!!! 

True Nick. In anticipation of this, at plastering stage I mark out down/up light positions so the plasterer is well aware his finish will be literally under the spotlight at those locations.

But I have to disagree with you regarding the acceptable standard. A plastered finish should be a near perfect finish, it really shouldn't require any filling & sanding. 

The general commercial procedure on large residential projects is that a sum is retained from the plastering/drylining package until the mist coat has been applied and the plastering/drylining contractor has QC's their finish.

Once the finish is accepted the retained sum is released.

It is generally agreed that any surface repair up to the size of a 2 pence piece is included the the painters making good allowance; but scrim tape/beads showing through the surface etc would be the responsibility of the Dryliner to refill over. 

2 hours ago, Annker said:

True Nick. In anticipation of this, at plastering stage I mark out down/up light positions so the plasterer is well aware his finish will be literally under the spotlight at those locations.

But I have to disagree with you regarding the acceptable standard. A plastered finish should be a near perfect finish, it really shouldn't require any filling & sanding. 

The general commercial procedure on large residential projects is that a sum is retained from the plastering/drylining package until the mist coat has been applied and the plastering/drylining contractor has QC's their finish.

Once the finish is accepted the retained sum is released.

It is generally agreed that any surface repair up to the size of a 2 pence piece is included the the painters making good allowance; but scrim tape/beads showing through the surface etc would be the responsibility of the Dryliner to refill over. 

Agree in part, but I've run plasterers and decorators on my private ( high-end ) jobs and accept that a plastered finish will be 99% 'there' and will need some help to get it 100%. This is even more acceptable on sites where the lighting is not already in place, and the plaster is relying on mobile lights. 

When I say sand / fill I'm not on about mixing 6 kilo's of the stuff, and most times just a quick pole sand and some minimal spot-filling is all it takes to get it over the finish line.

• Like 1