Hutting revival (Guardian article)

Nice to see this getting some more coverage: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/15/how-scotland-back-in-love-with-hutting

@Tennentslager Is the expert on this, but for those who don't know, a hut is a <30m2 building not intended for permanent occupation, and made from low impact materials with minimal permanent effect upon its site. Generally off grid, they are exempt from building and planning requirements.

I think the article was wrong about exempt from planning...could be wrong but today's journalists?

The proposal is to soften BC, almost to the extent of removing safe for treatment plants and electric if you have mains but planning remains.

The planning guidance WILL change but remains to be seen how this filters into local development plans and how each LA will be supportive.

All said its a great step forward, we're not short of space up here are we...

29 minutes ago, Crofter said:

a hut is a <30m2 building not intended for permanent occupation, and made from low impact materials with minimal permanent effect upon its site. Generally off grid, they are exempt from building and planning requirements.

That sounds remarkably like the description of a static caravan. :ph34r:

Well apart from the low impact materials bit.

I'm sure there would be demand if you are close enough to the WHW.

Will the lack of main electricity not put off the neds?

I am also a little worried about people using the woodburner... putting rubbish into it or running it with the door open... plentiful free firewood and a spring on the door maybe? :)

44 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Hmm...AirBB...would people want to stay on the West Highland Way in a Hut with a dry toilet?

I'd be worried some gang of Glasgow neds would book it for a booze up...or some German tourists might set the wood burner chimney alight...okay, not German, maybe Belgians?

Definitely yes. The alternative is a tent and probably no toilet (who packed the shovel?). We backpacked the Cumbrian way and definitely the best nights were the wild camp nights.

We find AirB&B a bit disappointing. We listed on there the beginning of last year. Deathly silence. then a spate of bookings in August, followed by a return to deathly silence. Booking.com does MUCH better for us.

17 minutes ago, Crofter said:

I'm sure there would be demand if you are close enough to the WHW.

Will the lack of main electricity not put off the neds?

I am also a little worried about people using the woodburner... putting rubbish into it or running it with the door open... plentiful free firewood and a spring on the door maybe? :)

It's worth pondering...of course having a big shed *must* help keep the Hut tidy and clean.

How's 10m for being close to the WHW, thing is the punters would have to walk 3miles from Milngavie to get there...not really a bound.

Or maybe 90 miles from Fort William if they are doing it the better way. N to S is more satisfying in my view, although I am a Glaswegian so biased?

On 16/01/2017 at 22:18, Tennentslager said:

I think the article was wrong about exempt from planning...could be wrong but today's journalists?

The proposal is to soften BC, almost to the extent of removing safe for treatment plants and electric if you have mains but planning remains.

The planning guidance WILL change but remains to be seen how this filters into local development plans and how each LA will be supportive.

All said its a great step forward, we're not short of space up here are we...

The Observer has published a correction:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/jan/22/brexit-hutting-china-train-observer-corrections

A piece on a revival in rural “hutting” said the Scottish government had signalled it would be changing legislation “to exempt huts from building and planning rules”. This was incorrect. Building regulations are to be relaxed but huts will still require planning permission (“How Scotland has fallen back in love with traditional joys of ‘hutting’” (News, last week, page 21).

Is the correction correct?

Yes, the correction is correct as my post alluded to.

I think that the cycle of updating local development plans will be key to seeing more huts being built. Our community company is held as an ideal method of building capacity but we will need some support as a grassroots organisation run by volunteers...still, there's plenty of goodwill and eager potential hutters.

Planning gain may also be a hurdle but I'm optimistic that sites can be found at a realistic price. Hutting has its roots in simple shelter close to nature. I hope it does not become a kind of luxury five star niche only for those with deep pockets.