Oops - internal door gap from floor

Bozza

Just visited my self build at 2nd fix completion stage with my project manager.  Beautiful and rather pricey oak internal doors downstairs (x 9) have been fitted with a 25mm/1” gap at bottom.    There is no heat recovery system, and they know we’re installing glue down LVT no more than 4-5mm thick once fitted.  Yet the joiners workmanship is otherwise excellent.

Oops.  Big job at this stage to rectify.   Would like to be a fly on wall for that conversation.  Things like this make me glad I’ve gone for a turnkey service and so falls into “not my problem” category.  

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I have had this on a bamboo floor and I got thresholds made up with the same material.  They looked fine and were only 15mm high and was a spec development which sold quickly.  God knows what your guys will do.

I talked through a few solutions with my PM, thing is we’re putting down glue down LVT all the way through the house specifically avoiding any thresholds.   My PM had briefed the joiner on floor coverings so I assume he just had a “moment”.   Looks like the joiner will have to come back (at his cost) and disassemble all the door frames and lower them, or presumably not get paid by them.  The doors hadn’t even been trimmed, just hung high.  Then they’ll presumably have to replaster and paint.   And the surrounds are solid oak too.    I could understand it if there was a mix up eg we’d changed our mind from solid oak flooring or whatever but it was always going to be LVT.

Funnily enough my PM had ensured I told him, in writing which floor coverings I was putting in precisely to ensure correct door heights.

So they have to take the architraves off, take the doors off, take the frames out, trim the frames, and put them back a bit lower.

Replacing anything they cannot remove without destroying it.

Are they Oak frames?  did they make them or were they bought? I ask as I had a lot of trouble finding any and had to make my own.

13 hours ago, Bozza said:

Ha nice idea.  My PM messaged me today the joiners are going to lower the doors & frames accordingly to the proper height.

A 10mm gap at the bottom seems de rigueur for building control.  Be a shame to set them too low and have the shave the bottom of the doors.

16 hours ago, ProDave said:

So they have to take the architraves off, take the doors off, take the frames out, trim the frames, and put them back a bit lower.

Replacing anything they cannot remove without destroying it.

Are they Oak frames?  did they make them or were they bought? I ask as I had a lot of trouble finding any and had to make my own.

They are doorsets from Adamson doors.  Yes lots of work for them at their cost.  The doors were not trimmed so they can be reused.

5 hours ago, tonyshouse said:

I would advise adding a false head piece under the existing head refit door, piece in where hinge has  moved down 

Yeah I think they’re stripping back the whole frame and starting over. At their cost.

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

A 10mm gap at the bottom seems de rigueur for building control.  Be a shame to set them too low and have the shave the bottom of the doors.

Yeah my understanding 10mm is appropriate for heat recovery systems which we don’t have, but my floor fitter is saying 2mm above finished decorative floor surface. Not aware of building regs in Scotland requiring 10mm. 10mm sounds quite high asthetically?  I’m sure I’ve heard somewhere thickness of coin above finished decorative floor surface.