Extractor in downstairs toilet

nubbins

Just think if you want to have to have that window for ablutions, from a security POV and also a practical POV. 
If it’s p*ssing down with rain and blowing a hoolie then you’ll not want to have the stink blown into / through the house would you?

Look for a fan with an auto shutter ( do NOT use a back-draft shuttered one as they chatter and clap on windy days plus they will allow heat out / cold air in 24/7 ), one good unit is an ICON.
Not somewhere to save money imho. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just think if you want to have to have that window for ablutions, from a security POV and also a practical POV. 
If it’s p*ssing down with rain and blowing a hoolie then you’ll not want to have the stink blown into / through the house would you?

Look for a fan with an auto shutter ( do NOT use a back-draft shuttered one as they chatter and clap on windy days plus they will allow heat out / cold air in 24/7 ), one good unit is an ICON.
Not somewhere to save money imho. 

Thanks @Nickfromwales This is exactly what happens in one of our ensuites. I’ve just ordered an Icon 15 based on your recommendation. I’ve got one of those annoying rattley flappy things on the outside too. What do you recommend to replace this with? 

Edited by Gav_P

8 hours ago, Gav_P said:

Thanks @Nickfromwales This is exactly what happens in one of our ensuites. I’ve just ordered an Icon 15 based on your recommendation. I’ve got one of those annoying rattley flappy things on the outside too. What do you recommend to replace this with? 

The timer module is a bolt on iirc, had to buy one when I bought an ICON for our WC. 
Alternative grille down facing and no ‘flap’ ;)  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

The timer module is a bolt on iirc, had to buy one when I bought an ICON for our WC. 
Alternative grille down facing and no ‘flap’ ;)  

Yeah I had to add the timer as an option. They also have a humidity sensor module add on, didn’t get that tho. 

Ive ordered one of those covers too now.

Ta very much ?

• 2 months later...

When did that change as it appears the last amendment was in 2013? Guidance on the Planning Portal states...

”For toilets only, ‘purge ventilation’ (an opening window/door on an external wall) meeting the requirements specified in Appendix 2 of ‘Approved Document F - Ventilation’ can instead be used to provide ventilation if security is not an issue.”

2 hours ago, juncopartner said:

The approved document guidance was changed a few years ago, mechanical fans are required to all new WC installations, regardless of whether there's a window.

7 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

When did that change as it appears the last amendment was in 2013? Guidance on the Planning Portal states...

”For toilets only, ‘purge ventilation’ (an opening window/door on an external wall) meeting the requirements specified in Appendix 2 of ‘Approved Document F - Ventilation’ can instead be used to provide ventilation if security is not an issue.”

The key word in juncopartners post is “guidance”... meaning do what you want ?

48 minutes ago, juncopartner said:

Yes its guidance but you would need some justification or alternative to satisfy B Regs I'm afraid you can't just "do what you want".

Only if BR stipulates something definitive like  ‘shall’ or ‘must’ otherwise it’s unenforceable. 

23 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Only if BR stipulates something definitive like  ‘shall’ or ‘must’ otherwise it’s unenforceable. 

So the Approved Documents provide a way of meeting the Statutory Instrument (ie the legal document) and on WCs then the rules are that in an existing building then there is a requirement for extract ventilation. Appendix F section 7:11 to 7:15 refers ... 

Where is Appendix F? Or do you mean ADF and Paragraphs 7.11-7.15? If so, paragraph 7.12a makes reference to Table 5.2a and a note under ‘Intermittent extract’ states...

“Intermittent extract rates are given in Table 5.1a. For sanitary accommodation only, as an alternative, the purge ventilation provisions (windows) given in Appendix B can be used where security is not an issue”

So to me that reads mechanical extract is not required if an openable window can be!?!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

So to me that reads mechanical extract is not required if an openable window can be!?!

None of it gives any consideration to thermal convection, eg if a window is cracked open on night latch to allow “purge ventilation”, then the likelihood is that cold air + ‘au du shat’ will be pulled into and through the dwelling. Disgusting. 
Fit a fan ffs. ?

My extractor is utter rubbish. The added pan take off I plumbed into the wc seems to do nothing either. Smells really seem to linger. The smell is supposed to go from "bottom" (?) left, to the ceiling mounted fan top right.

2019-09-08_03-01-14

2019-10-21_08-31-55

43 minutes ago, Onoff said:

My extractor is utter rubbish. The added pan take off I plumbed into the wc seems to do nothing either. Smells really seem to linger.

I was considering this too but linking it up to MVHR. If it’s ineffective I won’t bother with the extra expense/complexity?

I think some of you need to change your diet.  It is only after I have eaten something that really disagrees with me that I would ever need an extractor in the WC.  When it does happen, the extractor does not help.  Only time can heal the harm.

26 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I think some of you need to change your diet.  It is only after I have eaten something that really disagrees with me that I would ever need an extractor in the WC.  When it does happen, the extractor does not help.  Only time can heal the harm.

Espera diez minutos!