york council house new build

On 04/10/2020 at 21:37, ProDave said:

Interesting idea.  I fear it will be over burdened with restrictions, red tape and hoops to jump through. And the "cars banished to the corner of the site" would prevent me from even thinking of it.

I hate this.
It's ignoring the problem, even when the combustion engine is long gone people will still have cars.

There's a few new build estates near me where car parking is a car park in the corner, unfortunately houses still need to look over these spaces, or they often plonk the block of flats next to them.
The other common theme is having the front of the house accessed via a pedestrian path, parking and alleyways are to the rear. I wonder how many of these houses just use come through the back?

The first house I bought, a brand new 1 bedroom house had that silly parking arangement of a car park at the end of each row of houses with allocated spaces.  I absolutely hated it, both for security, and a right pain if you needed to work on your car.

The No 1 priority on my list when moving on from that house was my own driveway with a garage or at least space to build a garage.  That alone ruled out 90% of the houses that agents were sending me to view, to the point one agent labelled me as a "time waster" because after a certain number of viewing unsuitable houses I had not bought one.

Seems to be a well-intentioned development with a few not-too-sensible Green dogmas attached (the lead councillor is Green Party). 

The banishing of cars from near houses mean that people will have to eg unload shopping then make a separate journey to park the car. Not good - never mind the impact on frail and disabled. The anti car stuff being locked in for the lifetime of the estate is peculiar at a time when Zero Emission cars are just beginning to boom. They will end up with cars in front of houses in 15 years time by not thinking carefully now.

Don't understand the stuff about "e-bike charging points" - is that not just a normal socket?

And some very funny politics. 'Slide back to business as usual under the current govt', when in reality we are in the the middle of the first sustained period of emissions reduction ever - notwithstanding that the Green Deal was a further complicated cockup after the previous Code for Sustainable Homes giimmick-ridden cockup.

Does anyone have an idea what it will cost to do PassivHaus Certification for 600 houses on 8 separate estates, with several types of house on each estate? 

If it is just 5 types, I make that something like enough spent on certificates to pay for a house or two.

Nowt so queer as folk.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1