Meaning of "dry fit" - taps included?

lek28

Hello there

What is standard as included within a "dry fit" installation? In particular, whose responsibility is it to fit the taps? 

Background is that we used a separation kitchen supplier from the main contractor we used for the rest of our major renovation (they obviously hate each other); however, the kitchen supplier only offer a "dry fit" installation, and so we paid our main contractor to do all the kitchen connections. There is now a dispute over whose responsibility it is to install the tap - each says it's the other's responsibility: contractor says they are only responsible for the plumbing (which they did), and kitchen fitter says they are not qualified to do anything touching the plumbing. Ideally it be great if I could point to whatever the industry standard is. (As a layman, I can see how it might be either way.)

To complicate matters, the tap we wanted arrived after the kitchen was installed, so the kitchen fitters are no longer on site. 

Thanks!

Why do you say the kitchen supplier and the main contractor 'obviously hate each other'?

A dry fit would mean exactly that. The plumber would fit the tap, waste connectors and make water/waste connections. I think your builder is being difficult. It is more normal for a plumber to have tap spanners than a kitchen fitter.

Very helpful, thanks. 

17 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

Why do you say the kitchen supplier and the main contractor 'obviously hate each other'?

Contractor was originally going to supply the kitchen (or facilitate someone else to supply the kitchen), but after we had agreed a design and price, when it came to finalising the plans, they increased the price by £5k (unrelated to any upgrades), we threw our toys out of the pram and found our own supplier for a much better price. Contractor was (understandably) peeved at losing the margin and has made things difficult for the kitchen supplier ever since (or possibly gone out of their way not to make anything easy) which the kitchen supplier has reciprocated with various inconsiderate behaviour. Both essentially acting very unprofessionally, then throw in a personality conflict and it's been super painful!

Thats exactly what I was certain you were going to say.

Its not really the kitchen suppliers fault that your contractor  has behaved unprofessionally (and I assure you its not the first time this has happened). Its no excuse that your kitchen supplier hasnt cooperated, but having had the kitchen suppliers hat on, I can assure you that we come across this a lot. Builders have a habit of acting like children when things dont always go their way and can make it an art form of making a nuisance of themselves. We make it very clear to our clients that our contract is with them and not the contractor, so while we endeavour to work with their contactors, the client will always have to be the go between and remain in the loop in any communications and agreements.

In this case, I think you should have a strong word with your contractor and tell them that they need to fall in line.

I ran a kitchen company for over 20 years. A dry fit was considered by me tto include fitting the tap, but not plumbing it in. Fitting the basket stainer in the sink, but not connecting the waste. My own thoughts are that the kitchen company should be fitting the tap, and your builder connecting the water to it.

17 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I ran a kitchen company for over 20 years. A dry fit was considered by me tto include fitting the tap, but not plumbing it in. Fitting the basket stainer in the sink, but not connecting the waste. My own thoughts are that the kitchen company should be fitting the tap, and your builder connecting the water to it.

Hi mate - No one I know of would do this for 1 main reason. What if the overflow or waste trap hasnt for some reason seated properly? Who is responsible for any water escape that may result? One could argue that the plumber should check this but more often than not they dont. What happens if a perfectly seated trap gets knocked by a plumber while second fixing resulting in water escape.

Often waste traps  could weep after a quantity of hot water has run thru it due to expansion and this is the best time to retighten all joints.

All of the other scenarios are just a minefield. To avoid this cross over  of responsibility, we specify dry fits where the first fix has been done by others. There is a clear line of responsibility and ownership of problem established.

• Like 1

I always asked the kitchen fitters to NOT fit ANYTHING plumbing related, and only to drill holes to get appliance hoses into the sink unit, and to put them up as high as practicable.

One carpenter drilled holes for the electrical sockets at the very bottom of the unit ?. I asked him which way water drips if there’s a a leak, he remained silent. Great carpenter & kitchen fitter, shit at everything else. Fitted ballofix isolation valves behind the false backs and drilled ( very neat ) holes to put the screwdriver through to operate them. ?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ryder72 said:

Hi mate - No one I know of would do this for 1 main reason. What if the overflow or waste trap hasnt for some reason seated properly? Who is responsible for any water escape that may result? One could argue that the plumber should check this but more often than not they dont. What happens if a perfectly seated trap gets knocked by a plumber while second fixing resulting in water escape.

Often waste traps  could weep after a quantity of hot water has run thru it due to expansion and this is the best time to retighten all joints.

All of the other scenarios are just a minefield. To avoid this cross over  of responsibility, we specify dry fits where the first fix has been done by others. There is a clear line of responsibility and ownership of problem established.

I like that, and the fact that you know about tightening things up after hot has been run through. You make great points.

• Thanks 1

Very helpful, all. Based on the diversity of opinions, sounds like it's not crazy that this fell through the cracks. It would have been nice if they could have been a little more professional, and figured this out by talking to each other... But we're at the end of the project, so I think this was too much for either of them ?

Thanks again for the views