Hello BH Members

latisha

Hi everyone! I'm Lauren living in London. I'm planning to make a house renovation although I still have doubts whether to do that renovation this year or next year.

For, some reasons which is budget and designs. I don't want to get an architect because, it will  be another expenses. Moreover, I had a bad experience in the previous architect that we hired many years ago. I came here hoping to have new house design ideas.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. 

We have a few members here who have designed their own homes, so if that's an option and your feeling brave, then feel free to ask as many questions as you like :)

Just choose from the topics for the one that's closest to your enquiry and start a new thread. 

@Sensus will no doubt chip in as he's one of the experts in that field who reside here. 

Regards, Nick. 

Hello Lauren,

A good way for you to get members of this forum talking to you to is to suggest a design, and then ask 'us' what we think of it.

For example, let's say you want to have a new brick-built extension - or renovate a brick-built wall. Search the forum using the search engine. Read the posts and the links that have already been made. Then, ask about those aspects that you find interesting. So, if you ask about bricks, then as sure as eggs are eggs, @Construction Channel will reply giving you too much detail about (say) the reason why Flemish Bond bricklaying is the best (or worst), and @Declan52 will tell you about how much the foundations will cost, @Nickfromwales will tell you about the best way to install a wet room, @ProDave will help with the electrics, and @Peter M will help with the best curtain fabric. :ph34r:

Welcome!

Ian

58 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

@Construction Channel will reply giving you too much detail about (say) the reason why Flemish Bond bricklaying is the best (or worst),

Technically English is the best (strongest) bond, But it was replaced with Flemish bond in the late 17th century as supposedly it is prettier. 

Either way they are both very slow to lay compared to stretcher (half) bond :) 

http://www.theheritagedirectory.co.uk/uploads/articles/Brick Bonds v2.pdf

Sorry i should add 

Welcome to the forum Lauren

Ask away, Its only Nick that bites xD 

10 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Technically English is the best (strongest) bond, But it was replaced with Flemish bond in the late 17th century as supposedly it is prettier. 

Either way they are both very slow to lay compared to stretcher (half) bond :) 

http://www.theheritagedirectory.co.uk/uploads/articles/Brick Bonds v2.pdf

I think English is the bond you want on a sharp country bend.

Or well rooted idiot bollards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Hello Lauren,

A good way for you to get members of this forum talking to you to is to suggest a design, and then ask 'us' what we think of it.

For example, let's say you want to have a new brick-built extension - or renovate a brick-built wall. Search the forum using the search engine. Read the posts and the links that have already been made. Then, ask about those aspects that you find interesting. So, if you ask about bricks, then as sure as eggs are eggs, @Construction Channel will reply giving you too much detail about (say) the reason why Flemish Bond bricklaying is the best (or worst), and @Declan52 will tell you about how much the foundations will cost, @Nickfromwales will tell you about the best way to install a wet room, @ProDave will help with the electrics, and @Peter M will help with the best curtain fabric. :ph34r:

Welcome!

Ian

Sorry guy's I know nothing about curtains ?

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

Either way they are both very slow to lay compared to stretcher (half) bond

See? I told you.....

• Like 1