What has your BI insisted on re: disabled access/ramps

gwebstech

Im interested to know how some of you have got around the disabled acesss for new builds. Ive seen some new builds on big sites and they have a minimal ramp but my house front will be block paved and ive either got to incorporate the ramp in to the block paving - believe me, it looks a mess (next door has it)- or i ve got to figure out how else to allow access. I plan on removing the ramp once the house passes so do the inspectors youve used allow temporary ramps?

thanks

42 minutes ago, gwebstech said:

Im interested to know how some of you have got around the disabled acesss for new builds. Ive seen some new builds on big sites and they have a minimal ramp but my house front will be block paved and ive either got to incorporate the ramp in to the block paving - believe me, it looks a mess (next door has it)- or i ve got to figure out how else to allow access. I plan on removing the ramp once the house passes so do the inspectors youve used allow temporary ramps?

thanks

Pasted with flying colours 

Two different local Authority 

BC 

When they signed the house off 

A foot note was included 

Landscaping incomplete 

Temporary disabled access

Building control did mention that many new builds don’t have correct DA access With sloping block paving 

There must be a LEVEL 1200 x 1200 base in front of the door to stop the wheel chair drifting back 

27844D19-FE83-421E-AFFA-5C83E7E43853.jpeg

2A6C9EE7-A02C-4567-81B7-1EC071FB9985.jpeg

Edited by nod

Our ramp construction started today!

We have a suspended timber floor so a bit higher than most. Our building inspectors has okayed the use of timber for us. What he said to me was don't build a ramp that looks like you are planning to remove it as I drive away. ?

I've had some Siberian Larch decking constructed this week and using the same stuff for the ramp.

I'm building in Scotland where prehaps the disability access regulations might be different.

2 hours ago, gwebstech said:

thanks

Raise the whole garden except for a narrow bit near the house to avoid bridging the DPC. 

thanks guys, i spoke to him today and he did say steps are permissible and im going to use a single step made out of block paving, he told me min 900 wide, and level as someone else said and seeing as my drive runs down to the house i think it will both look ok and be functional

cheers

I don't see the sense of not designing one in, as we - and our children or parents or friends - are all as likely as anyone to spend time in a wheelchair or have a leg off later.

I think a few people have also arranged sloped paths to the another door round the house.

I am in an older house, with steps, and I made mine on top of the existing path for a relative from adjustable support pads and big slabs. It will stay, and be flanked by spillover planting and river pebbles the other side. But still be removable in a single day.

At least know how you will do one in future, even if you don't have one now.

F

20 hours ago, gwebstech said:

thanks guys, i spoke to him today and he did say steps are permissible and im going to use a single step made out of block paving, he told me min 900 wide, and level as someone else said and seeing as my drive runs down to the house i think it will both look ok and be functional

cheers

We love our level entry. With some imagination its possible to have steps with a ramp/path wrapped around them. Ramps don't have to look industrial.