Timber prices

Tennentslager

Going from memory, just ordered the timber for my *big* shed and prices have gone south...steady now you brexit fiends

4*2 CLS 1.20 per metre

6*2 treated joist 2.05 per metre

145mm decking 1.65 per metre

150*15mm cladding 5.27 sq/m

All including VAT.

I'm pleased as is less than last year...result!

Edited by Tennentslager

That's good, my local yard (Kent, proper "South") for treated, constructional grade timber:

4*2 CLS 1.20 per metre £1.72

6*2 treated joist 2.05 per metre £2.69

145mm decking 1.65 per metre £2.15

150*15mm cladding 5.27 sq/m

Pity it doesn't grow on trees.....

2 hours ago, MarkH said:

A note on the counter in our local Jewson yesterday said CLS was going up 18%, aircrete blocks up 22% and most other stuff 5-10%.

Did they say WHEN it was going up?

I need to order some 6*2 and 4*2, sounds like I had better do it sooner rather than later.

In Jewsons today

6 * 2 regularised  £1.72 per metre

4 * 2 regularised £1.28 per metre

Same as I paid in December, so it's not gone up yet.

More worrying for a self builder was the notice saying from 4th January, cash sales under £150 ex VAT will incur a £17.50 + VAT delivery charge.

They waived the delivery charge today and I brought home with me a Self Build trade account form to avoid that in future even on small orders.

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

Did they say WHEN it was going up?

Yep, the lady behind the counter said the new prices would kick in when their existing stock ran out. She reckoned brexit was to blame. Don't know if that was the official excuse though...

Looks like somebody burying a price increase with brexit and in at least one sense they might be right, in 2016 the pound as 1.4 against the Euro, now it is 1.17 so thats about 16% difference (now/then) or 19% (then/now)  and assuming they pass on all the exchange rate adjustment BUT in early 2014 it was 1.2 did we see a big price drop in 2015-2016 and the price is just settling back to what it was in 2014 - did we heck?

• Like 1