Grade 2 Listed Sash Window Replacement

mikeyforgey

Hello all,

A bit of a long read here I am afraid but I would very much appreciate any advice on the pre-building application form that needs to be filled in for the council.

I have a severe disability and I currently live in a grade 2 listed building. Unfortunately our wooden sash windows have gone to pot in which we will have to replace them. There is basically a gap now in the window to the outside which is not great for my health along with the mould. 

We have had various companies come out and say that the sash windows are not repairable and have rotted all the way through. This is my preferable option to replace them, like for like. I know that councils do not like anything to do with grade 2 listed and changes but I need this pre-application to hit the spot.

I'm not sure where to begin or how to word it. If anyone could help provide me with a template that would be great.

Many thanks Mike

1 hour ago, mikeyforgey said:

We have had various companies come out and say that the sash windows are not repairable and have rotted all the way through.

rubbish, new sill required for the case including new lower pulley stlile. may need a new bottom sash if that's shot as well. lost count of the number of sash and case repairs i've done. ask the right tradesmen and it will be repaired, those that won't probably can't.

• Like 1

Planners can be so anal when it comes to listed buildings 

We have had to install sash throughout our self build to match next doors listed farmhouse 

Tricky job as the sash where replaced in the 70s

Without permission 

But we needed to match what should be there 

Same case for stonework Again rendered over in the 70s

Frustrating 

2 hours ago, nod said:

Planners can be so anal when it comes to listed buildings 

We have had to install sash throughout our self build to match next doors listed farmhouse 

Tricky job as the sash where replaced in the 70s

Without permission 

But we needed to match what should be there 

Same case for stonework Again rendered over in the 70s

Frustrating 

Strange values ... Aiui the current owners are responsible for correcting past problems, unless the dodgy stuff was there at the time of listing when it is also listed and corrections are a criminal offence without LBC.

Edited by Ferdinand

It was hilarious 

First they said I couldn’t use Spanish slate (local )

Slate guy came down Took one look and said Your neighbors roof isn’t local slate It’s Welsh slate 

Then they told me to match my heads and Cils to the stone under there render 

and the old listed Farmhouse has Aluminum Everest in the front 

Brown UPVC at the back 

The chap who owns it now is the son of the previous owner 

Who lived there for 60 Years 

Of he replaces anything it will have to go back to original

I think that was the thinking  behind getting me to build a house that looks nothing like the listed building As is 

14 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Strange values ... Aiui the current owners are responsible for correcting past problems, unless the dodgy stuff was there at the time of listing when it is also listed and corrections are a criminal offence without LBC.

Sorry but what is LBC?

does your local authority charge for pre-application advice?

for window replacement I wouldn't bother at all with pre-application advice, just find some nice replacement windows and make sure you're happy with the costs and then apply for planning permission with all of the information.

Pre-application advice will likely say any replacement windows need to be like for like and in the same materials etc but they won't be able to give you any further comment without full details of the windows.

Have a chat with your council's Conservation Officer.  Some are really practical, realistic and helpful, while others are jobsworth ar$eholes; either way, your application will end up on their desk, so engage early using all the charm you can muster!  Good luck!  

(Ps. We replaced some double-hung Georgian box sash windows that were beyond economic repair in a G II listed house without any objections).

3 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Have a chat with your council's Conservation Officer.  Some are really practical, realistic and helpful, while others are jobsworth ar$eholes; either way, your application will end up on their desk, so engage early using all the charm you can muster!  Good luck!  

(Ps. We replaced some double-hung Georgian box sash windows that were beyond economic repair in a G II listed house without any objections).

Yes - my parents did that, but I think they just *did* it.

It was during the 3 decades of absence of Conservation Officers ?.

Edited by Ferdinand

On 31/08/2020 at 11:20, the_r_sole said:

does your local authority charge for pre-application advice?

for window replacement I wouldn't bother at all with pre-application advice, just find some nice replacement windows and make sure you're happy with the costs and then apply for planning permission with all of the information.

Pre-application advice will likely say any replacement windows need to be like for like and in the same materials etc but they won't be able to give you any further comment without full details of the windows.

Yes they do charge for pre-application advice around £45-£60. However this is the only way to speak to the conservation officer as at the moment there is no other route. Really it was only to see what documents are needed to make a successful application.

Edited by mikeyforgey

Have you identified a suitable replacement, or a joiner to make them?  If you don't want to go the pre-app advice route (which I would still advise), then you probably need to provide all the details on materials, glazing bar profiles, glazing, weather strips, finish etc, along with an assessment of the current state or repair of the existing.