Nail gun for masonry?

Conor

Our build has precast floor slabs, plenty of steel and internal block walls. I can see a lot of fixing to concrete for vent ducts, plumbing pipes etc.

What kind of nail gun would be suitable for this? Talking no more than 40mm nails. Electric? Gas?

I really detest the thought of drilling and screwing in to over head precast slabs!

14 minutes ago, Conor said:

Our build has precast floor slabs, plenty of steel and internal block walls. I can see a lot of fixing to concrete for vent ducts, plumbing pipes etc.

What kind of nail gun would be suitable for this? Talking no more than 40mm nails. Electric? Gas?

I really detest the thought of drilling and screwing in to over head precast slabs!

Things have changed but this was always Hilti-gun territory but as I say, things have changed and some manufacturers make air and gas powered concrete nailers so have a look but I suspect these will be pricey and probably not the sort of tool you will use much of after the build so maybe hiring?

It might be worth hiring a Hilti-gun and the correct cartridge for your use - I used a hilti-gun years ago to fix battens to a concrete ceiling and steel flanges directly onto the ceiling too - I must say it was the business but they are pretty dangerous so take care. 

Edited by Carrerahill

+1 Hilti or Spit gun. Issue is that the cartridges can be difficult to obtain as there are certain places won’t sell them as these things are borderline firearms ..!!

PPE is a must for anything that can put a 30mm hardened pin through 10mm steel plate ... 

Just now, PeterW said:

+1 Hilti or Spit gun. Issue is that the cartridges can be difficult to obtain as there are certain places won’t sell them as these things are borderline firearms ..!!

PPE is a must for anything that can put a 30mm hardened pin through 10mm steel plate ... 

Used to be very hard to get here but now where not killing each other as much it's easier.

There is a hilti shop in duncrue a few doors down from Screwfix.

We bought a second hand spit p370 from fleebay. Been faultless and should resale for what we payed for it. 3 cartrdges for firing into different materiel red being the strongest. Also note this can be a very dangerous too in the wrong hands! Never had a issue with spit cartridges bought online.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Hilti gun is your best bet. Will fire into whatever material you need with the right cap and nail. Plus they are a lot of fun!!

Plus one

We use the new battery ones 

No kick 

27 minutes ago, nod said:

Plus one

We use the new battery ones 

No kick 

I have just looked these up as I have not come across them.  No powder caps which is a bonus.  It looks like you still need the big boy one for fixing timber to steel beam webs?