Roof

Skel

My adjoining next door neighbour has said he is more than happy to tile my roof with my help. He is in the process of tiling his own. He is not a professional roofer but is one of these guys who can turn his hand to anything and do a good job. He has built his own brick outhouse recently and it  looks as good as any I’ve seen.  Attached are some photos he gave me (I have others) of his own ongoing tiling work. I’m quite handy myself but not sure if I’m up to it. Any advice and  comments welcome.

m_Dormer GRP.jpg

m_Early days.jpg

m_Tile to dormer1.jpg

Thanks Nod. It seems OK to me just wasn't sure lead work looked professional enough although it is still ongoing. I've attached some more pictures for any further comment. A wee bit of a worry is his seeming disregard for health and safety. These slates lying on the front of his roof which he's due to start soon have been there for a week. Now I know it is his health and safety at the moment but when it comes to my roof  I don't want to be breaking any laws or whatever.   He's going to do it for cost price which he reckons will be £3 to £3.5k

Thanks again for any advice .

m_Chimney.jpg

m_Front roof.jpg

m_GRP.jpg

m_Lead.jpg

He is making his life hard.  Leaving the cut tiles until later which makes them harder to fit and they won't be nailed or clipped.

So he's taking off natural slate and fitting interlocking concrete tiles instead.  Does that need planning permission?  Is the property listed?

33 minutes ago, Skel said:

...just wasn't sure lead work looked professional enough although it is still ongoing... .

m_Chimney.jpg

It isn't, yet

The lead should be cut  into each layer of brickwork of the chimney. (Step flashing)

If the leadwork remains like that you are certain to have problems. Here's how it should look. 

Like this

Edited by ToughButterCup

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

It isn't, yet

The lead should be cut  into each layer of brickwork of the chimney. (Step flashing)

If the leadwork remains like that you are certain to have problems. Here's how it should look. 

Like this

actually that’s fine so far - he has run the cloak up the chimney and brought the underfelt behind it, then will fit the steps over the top. Only thing I would do slightly differently is create a hidden gutter toward the chimney with a batten but that looks fine so far. 

If he was to finish it with a strip of flashband that would be a different story .!! 

It all looks just about ok..... not sure about the quality of the battens or the roofing paper and the lead work and gutters look a bit shoddy but maybe / probably functional. I don’t want to be to critical as it’s a DIY Project but if this was being done by a professional I would be worried.  I would want to know that the paper he is using is Proper breathable One designed for the job and if not then there could be problems with condensation. It’s a tricky one as it looks functional but not professional and I would not want to say yay or nay to getting him to do your roof. 

Thanks for all replies. The membrane is new. Its Rubershield ECO extra. The tiles are Ballymena Penrose. Not sure where he got the battens from. He says he’s checked it out and no planning permission required as it’s not a listed building. The gutters will be getting replaced eventually. I’m inclined to go ahead from a financial point of view and if it lasts 20 or thirty years it will be outlasting me. Any more pointers are meantime much appreciated as I could suggest things to him (as if I knew what I was talking about ?) which would make my side of the roof even better than his. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks Mr Punter, Have promised him - my neighbour - he can have all the reusable slates as he will be doing 90% of the job. Not sure how many there will be that are reclaimable or how much money he will get for 100 year old slates. Although I suppose added to his own he may end up with a couple of pallets which may be worth something to somebody.