UFH and rugs

joe90

We are having UFH downstairs (only) with tiles and engineered wood flooring glued down. I know that tiles are good at transferring heat into a room and wood less so and I have told er indoors that we cannot have rugs on the lounge wooden flooring because of the UFH but I just know that she will be asking for a rug in front of the fireplace by the settee after we move in?. My question is can I negate this by leaving out the UFH pipes in this area ( like we are in the kitchen where fixed cabinets are going) or rather not can I but is it common for people to do it?, does it make sense?

On the same theme, as wood is more of an insulator than tiles would it not make sense to use thinner wood flooring ( bonded down to concrete) to a/ save money, b/enable more heat to enter the room?

Some engineered wood floor companies say no rugs to cover their backsides because there is a risk of the glue delaminating. However we've had boxes of books piled up on our wood floor with the UFH running quite hot and no problems.

Edited by Temp

+1. Fit the pipes, let swmbo have the rug of her dreams ( "operation peace 'n' quiet' ) and fit a substantial floor board without worry. 

One previous job I did had posi joists with UFH pipes in Alu spreader plates. 22mm weyroc over the joists, then 6mm ply, then tile adhesive and then porcelain tiles. The only complaint was it was too warm in there. Heat will find its way through, trust me, and the rug is a very small area :)

• Like 1