Gyproc'ing at First Fix

jamiehamy

hiya, 

We are building the internal stud walls and have also had 4 pallets of Gyproc delivered (what fun tmrw will be lifting them all up to the house!). 

My thinking is that we can start sheeting one side of the internal stud walls before the electricians and plumbers start their thing - one of the sparks said as much. 

My thinking is that for toilets, we should sheet the 'inside' walls of the toilet which will allow access  to run the pipes and cables from 'outside' the toilet and be brought through to the right location? For other walls like adjoining rooms (bedrooms/study etc), as long as we only do one side, it shouldn't matter which (we are using 95x45mm studs). 

A sensible approach? We want to get as much done as possible before bringing contractors on board to the wiring and plumbing - but do't want to go too far. 

Thanks, J 

Yes, as an electrician, that would be my dream. Sheet the side that has the most switches or sockets on.

When a "joiner" is doing a job, you just can't get them to do it that way. They insist on sheeting the whole ceiling before they even start to build the internal walls, which means you have to just leave loads of cables hanging where you think the walls are going.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

which means you have to just leave loads of cables hanging where you think the walls are going.

Yes, BUT, then the joiners have to anticipate all the wall locations and add much more timber to 'take' the ceiling plasterboards. So the ease you create for the spark ( & plumber ;) ) gets offset against the nightmare you create for the joiners / boarders :/

Solution,

Sheet the ceilings, put the walls up, take down a sheet or 2 in each room, I've done a few houses this way, works well from a sparks pov, yes, you still have to enter the loft, but you don't have to crawl all the way through it. 

20 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yes, BUT, then the joiners have to anticipate all the wall locations and add much more timber to 'take' the ceiling plasterboards. So the ease you create for the spark ( & plumber ;) ) gets offset against the nightmare you create for the joiners / boarders :/

We've decided we'll sheet the ceilings in each rooms afterwards - it does created more work for us to put in extra timber as you say, but allows us the flexibility. It would have been a dream and doddle to sheet up the ceiling before the walls went in, but would have mean bringing in the spark earlier than we wanted. It is a compromise, but I think we're worse off, just don't want to create any extra work for the spark and plumber later on. 

7 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Solution,

Sheet the ceilings, put the walls up, take down a sheet or 2 in each room, I've done a few houses this way, works well from a sparks pov, yes, you still have to enter the loft, but you don't have to crawl all the way through it. 

We don't have a loft so can't go down this route I'm afraid! 

Actually, what I am seriously considering for my house, is sheet the ceilings, sheet one side of each wall, and leave the floorboards upstairs loose, perhaps loose laying every other board. Put all services, wiring, plumbing, mvhr vents etc, and THEN lay the floor upstairs.

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

We've decided we'll sheet the ceilings in each rooms afterwards - it does created more work for us to put in extra timber as you say, but allows us the flexibility. It would have been a dream and doddle to sheet up the ceiling before the walls went in, but would have mean bringing in the spark earlier than we wanted. It is a compromise, but I think we're worse off, just don't want to create any extra work for the spark and plumber later on. 

We don't have a loft so can't go down this route I'm afraid! 

I was just about to amend my earlier reply to say I forgot you had no attic -_- so I gave a bit of a bum steer in this particular case. 

Indeed, you'll be better off liaising with the joiners & boarders to get the ceilings to go on last, and trust me I fully sympathise with Prodaves POV as it's the same for plumbers, if not worse, when your left out of the considerations of the build......( and then told to make the pipes and wires 'invisible' :| )

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I was just about to amend my earlier reply to say I forgot you had no attic -_- so I gave a bit of a bum steer in this particular case. 

Indeed, you'll be better off liaising with the joiners & boarders to get the ceilings to go on last, and trust me I fully sympathise with Prodaves POV as it's the same for plumbers, if not worse, when your left out of the considerations of the build......( and then told to make the pipes and wires 'invisible' :| )

Remember - we are the joiners and boarders in this case! And just about everything else :-) 

Well I have decided to sheet the inside of all walls ( to give access to cable/plumb)  and lay floors upstairs but not the downstairs ceilings so I can plumb the bathrooms from below ( more important to get holes in the floors correct for pipes etc and levels for flows) Ceilings can be put up after, just MVHR terminals and ceiling lights to get right .

• Like 2