concrete that will set under water

scottishjohn

I am going build a collection tank on my private suppy as the old stone work culvert from it has collapsed inparts ,so replacing that with 300mm twin wall 

Ido not knowo exact detals till I dig it up 

I will try to divert the water ,but suspect diverting all will not be a simple job 

So what can I use that will set when very wet and or very quickly --

Iunderstand that portland cement sets under water --is that what post mix is made from ?

first thing will be the base then i need to construct walls --maybe block work or shuttering and concrete 

-but again I do not think I  will not be able to keep it dry while its setting 

looking at uk site -its £20-£40 a bag depending on which ione and it looks like you use it neat --so that would be a lot of bags 

got to look at diverting the water better I think 

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

I don't think your tank will be properly waterproof if you do the base and walls separate.

On big sites I see they do the concrete structure then fit purpose made liners when doing things like sprinkler tanks. Liner needs periodic replacement.

To do it your way, even with waterproof concrete I think you need to be incorporating waterbars.

For example:

https://www.arconsupplies.co.uk/waterproofing/swellable-waterbars

You could do it in one hit with a big shuttered and braced box inside a box then pumped concrete.

• Like 1

Just now, Onoff said:

I don't think your tank will be properly waterproof if you do the base and walls separate.

On big sites I see they do the concrete structure then fit purpose made liners when doing things like sprinkler tanks. Liner needs periodic replacement.

To do it your way, even with waterproof concrete I think you need to be incorporating waterbars.

For example:

https://www.arconsupplies.co.uk/waterproofing/swellable-waterbars

You could do it in one hit with a big shuttered and braced box inside a box then pumped concrete.

It don,t need to 100% waterproof  as there will be a constant flow  and at this time there is no tank just a pile of rocks sending the water towards the old stone culvert

there will be no great pressure as the water depth will be only about 2ft before it can run away down a 300mm twin wall drain pipe 

plus I fear the swellable water bars would swollen before concrete set,

the actual water collecting pipes( 50mm)-to a real underground storage tank will be set about 12" from bottom that tank like a rainwater harvesting  and will have filter  divertor on it to return excess water to the stream  lower down whilst removing any large debris  and keep a constant flow of fresh water through the tank 

It is not possible to get concrete jigger to where this  is

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

How about a couple of concrete sewer rings on top of each other. 

What sort of size is it. 

would need to be about 1000mm 

they will be heavy to manovere --but If ican find 2 or 3 locally and cheap --yes could be

deliver from a distance will be the killer

Edited by scottishjohn

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

How about a couple of concrete sewer rings on top of each other. 

What sort of size is it. 

not as expensive as ithought 

1050x1000mm £149+vat each delivered

so that seems like an inspired call by @Russell griffiths

good man 

dig a hole drop them in and add some concrete to the bottom -job nearly  done 

make a 300mm+hole in the side and 2 x50mm ones job done -back fill around 

Edited by scottishjohn

5 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

I am going build a collection tank on my private suppy as the old stone work culvert from it has collapsed inparts ,so replacing that with 300mm twin wall 

Ido not knowo exact detals till I dig it up 

I will try to divert the water ,but suspect diverting all will not be a simple job 

So what can I use that will set when very wet and or very quickly --

Iunderstand that portland cement sets under water --is that what post mix is made from ?

first thing will be the base then i need to construct walls --maybe block work or shuttering and concrete 

-but again I do not think I  will not be able to keep it dry while its setting 

Do you have a piccie?

Why not a plastic tank and backfill with concrete. 

IBC WATER TANK  dig a hole 300mm bigger in all directions, drop in tank and concrete all around. 

But time you buy the concrete you could go and collect two sewer rings. 

Do you have a trailer ?

if it was me I would go to local concrete pipe place and collect a couple of damaged ones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

I will take some next time i,m up there before any new hydraulic engineering  takes place and then after

What I am considering is that there must be versions of big  chambers with pre-made inlets. Gonna be difficult to drill, and I am sure I have seen things at my local Buildbase Civils.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

would need to be about 1000mm 

I used some 1200mm rings for my well before the borehole was drilled. The only problem is they have a couple of lifting holes in the side but I plugged those with concrete. I core drilled a 127mm hole for the 110mm soil pipe.

P4290009.thumb.JPG.4ea06185062bc77e44a50da8dcdfa698.JPG

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

if it was me I would go to local concrete pipe place and collect a couple of damaged ones. 

we don,t have those sort of places in the countryside 

glasgow is 90miles carisle is the same 

ibc tank is £50-£60 +£50 carriage -ibc tank is too flimsey to attach a 300mm twin wall too so would have to cast into the concrete-then remove the the IBC or at least cut a hole to match 

I have looked for other solutions 

and 2 sewer rings looks easiest and cheapest -

I will just drill a ring of holes and knock it in  for the big pipe  then fill in around it once all in place . maybe can rent a 300mm core drill bit --will check 

Edited by scottishjohn

17 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

What I am considering is that there must be versions of big  chambers with pre-made inlets. Gonna be difficult to drill, and I am sure I have seen things at my local Buildbase Civils.

Ferdinand

post it up if you find anything

30 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I got two from my local BM..... I spotted them at the back of the yard and as they looked like they had been there for some time I offered them £50 for both. They were happy to be rid of them and gave me a lid as well ! They have Built in ladders ... My plan is to use them to make a plunge pool outside my sauna fed from my spring....... all still to be done but hayho I have the basics and they were very cheap.,

Edited by Cpd
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I have  a soon to be repaired core drill with 100mm bits that would make quick work of it. 
pick up rings on a trailer and get another company to drill your holes while on the trailer, will only take a few minutes. 

1 minute ago, Cpd said:

I got two from my local BM..... I spotted them at the back of the yard and as they looked like they had been there for some time I offered them £50 for both. They were happy to be rid of them and gave me a little as well ! They have Built in ladders ... My plan is to use them to make a plunge pool outside my sauna fed from my spring....... all still to be done but hayho I have the basics and they were very cheap.,

yes Iwent looking for them inlocal bulders ,thinking the same -but no luck

• Like 1

This is the page for my local  manufacturer Stanton Bonna.

https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/product/stanton-bonna-concrete-manhole-ring-900mm-x-250mm.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9b_4BRCMARIsADMUIyrploCgoc1DsyiDajsNAVLqPtkVpESrFH_NO7spVi73qwiWxleO4i0aAgkmEALw_wcB

I can't think of a better alternative, or honestly a better price than that  quoted earlier in the thread.

I do wonder about a double lining - that is install fabric plus layers of sand before you pit it in and backfill. It's not the sort of thing you want to redo in 20 years.

Edited by Ferdinand

40 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

This is the page for my local  manufacturer Stanton Bonna.

https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.uk/product/stanton-bonna-concrete-manhole-ring-900mm-x-250mm.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9b_4BRCMARIsADMUIyrploCgoc1DsyiDajsNAVLqPtkVpESrFH_NO7spVi73qwiWxleO4i0aAgkmEALw_wcB

I can't think of a better alternative, or honestly a better price than that  quoted earlier in the thread.

I do wonder about a double lining - that is install fabric plus layers of sand before you pit it in and backfill. It's not the sort of thing you want to redo in 20 years.

yes isaw them -

but at only 250mm long and only 900mmdia  and my one is 1000mmx1000mm long --it woud work out more expnsive to get same length 

48 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I am waitng contact still from the concrete canvas local agent --which still could be an alternative depending on cost 

make up plywood box --screw the concrete canvas to it fix in 300mm pipe --wrap that with the concrete canvas --then just wet it all and you got a concrete box

https://www.concretecanvas.com/concretecanvas

they even supply inflatable shelters for miliatary -which you just it over --wet it and you got a semi permanent structure 

have a look 

https://www.concretecanvas.com/cc-shelters

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1