I want to make a brick. How hard can it be?

Construction Channel

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

This thread is "what it's all about" as far as I'm concerned. Ed doesn't "have to", could indeed take an easier route but wants to see "if he can". Rediscovering a lost art and some of his local history at the same time. Great stuff!

Not only do I agree, but I also think there are some things in a self-build that are worth doing just because of the pride you'll feel looking at them in years to come and remembering all you had to learn in order to make it.  This brick is more than just a brick, isn't it?

I had a go at making a hand-made brick during a visit to the museum at  Ironbridge, years ago (it was supposed to be an activity for kids, but they didn't mind an old bloke joining in).  The mould was a timber box and the clay was thrown into it really hard to get it to fill the box completely.  The only release agent was a dusting of very, very fine sand and I think the chap showing us how to make them mentioned there was some sand mixed in with the clay, too.  This makes sense, as a lot of bricks seem to have a sandy texture.  The excess clay was cut off the mould with a cheese cutter wire and then the bricks stacked to dry.  I remember being told that they would leave the bricks to air dry for a long time before firing them, up to several weeks, depending on the weather.  The kids making bricks were given stamps to make their own decorations, initials or whatever and the fired bricks could be posted on a month or so later, IIRC.

If you watch the TV programme "The Great Pottery Throwdown" there is a fair bit to be learned from there about how clay behaves, the sort of drying times and firing regimes used for different thicknesses and shapes of clay.

• Like 1

What shrinkage have you added on? :D

Reminds me of when I worked at a model and pattern makers.

@Onoff said " This thread is "what it's all about" as far as I'm concerned. Ed doesn't "have to", could indeed take an easier route but wants to see "if he can". Rediscovering a lost art and some of his local history at the same time. Great stuff! "

Why I am building a boat.  Not going to be the greatest boat ever, but it will work, in a fashion and I will have designed, built, sailed and sunk it.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

What shrinkage have you added on?

Some.. to start with i only took 8mm off the original shape instead of the 10mm that I planned. so allowing 4-6mm shrinkage, but the more i thought and read about it i decided to give it a bit more, so I took it all apart and moved them all back about 3mm, (that is still to come in the next video, i filmed this last video on the 1st ;o ) 

so we now have allowed about 5mm shrinkage on all sides......ish.....

6 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Just to wet all your appetites I'll show you attempt 2 before destroy it 

IMG_2090.JPG

Wonderful! Really looks like "a brick".

Why are you going to destroy it, to look at the internal formation / structure?

Will you glaze it later?

Just wondering if the letters are recessed enough? Has Faye says she doesn't feel you've gone deep enough! ;)

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Wonderful! Really looks like "a brick".

Why are you going to destroy it, to look at the internal formation / structure?

Will you glaze it later?

Just wondering if the letters are recessed enough? Has Faye says she doesn't feel you've gone deep enough! ;)

Thank you, but funny you should ask, I destroyed it because i wasn't happy with it. the lettering wasn't deep enough so i doubled the stamp, also i wanted to redo it as i made the bottom slump when i tapped it out of the mould. 

I dont intend to glaze it at all, I'm going to leave the 2 finished ones to dry for a week, put them in the slow oven for a few days and then try and get the buggers up to 900 DegC :)  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...