Electric cable near cat 5 cable.

So electrical main coming into the property, and some type of comms cable going out to the garden gate to give signal to open gates and also receive signal from intercom and cameras. 

Now i believe these two should be separated to stop interference from the electrical cable, can anybody point me at distances apart and the bit I’m thinking about is the entry to the cupboard where the cu will be, at the moment I have two ducts that come up through my block n beam floor, but these ducts touch, should they be spaced apart by drilling another hole in the floor and having each in opposite sides of the cupboard, or is ducting sufficient to isolate them from each other. 

@PeterW @ProDave @Onoff

No guarantees, but in my experience it will probably be fine. If you were trying to do some super high bandwidth application on the cat5 cable it might be an issue - but for a signal to open a gate I'd guess it would work even swarmed by power cables. 

It's all about "harmful mutual effects". 

For "telecoms" Band 1 circuits nominal separation distance between it and Band 2 (230VAC) is 50mm for internal & external wiring. On the basis you don't want induced mains on a piece of kit someone might be holding etc. Below 50mm a "non conducting divider" should be inserted between the cables.

Aka put a small duct inside a big duct.

bigger issue will be general interference on the CAT5 at the length to an intercom etc (assuming it is analogue and not IP) and the feedback on it. Use shielded FTP cable if possible and clamp the shield to earth at the gate end

Ok cool, I’m going to separate them a bit in the morning even though it’s all ducted, the last thing I want is getting Chanel 4 news on the intercom when the postman rings it. 

I will I’ll come back to you clever people regarding the cable type later on. 

Ta very much.