Is this normal?

Bigeara87

Hello all,

my partner and I have recently bought a new build house, and she asked me a question about the build which I had no idea about...

There is part of the external wall, to left of the french door opening, where it appears that there is a vertical line in the bricks from the top of the house to the bottom.

Does anybody no what this is for? Why is this part stacked differently to all the rest? Could this affect the integrity of the build?

Thanks for any replies

B1D61647-F03F-4A42-9A0E-678F33B777DC.jpeg

C8F3665C-4EF1-4BD4-A5C1-339EC3F74CFC.png

Looking at the size of the facade, i'd say expansion gap, should be every 6m.

Gaps above the french doors, will be for weep vents, though why there is random size and place gaps further to the right is beyond me, thats poor workmanship

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

Our BCO said walls over 11-12 meters long need an expansion gap so we have one on the back of our house. (Elsewhere I've seen 15m mentioned). Makes sense for it to be more or less down the middle.

I notice you have a stone lintel above the window on the left. It's possible they plan to insert another above the patio door later. (Eg they didn't have one when they were building that section hence the untidy spacing and gaps).

I would question them on this and make sure it gets done. Wouldn't want them to go out of stock so you get one that doesn't match.

Edited by Temp