Odd size bottle trap pipe

amavadia

I bought a chrome bottle trap with my sink from a company called Durovin on eBay. They are quite a big company and do lots of basins. Its way too late to return now but I am just coming to fit the trap and the pipe size coming from the bottle to go into the wall seems an odd size.

In the wall I have 90 degree standard 32mm solvent weld fitting facing out the wall. Onto this I was going to fit a 32mm solvent weld to 32mm compression fitting. In the UK I believe the 32mm size refers to the internal bore diameter of the pipe, so standard compression fittings have about a 36mm hole to allow for the thickness of the pipe.

However this chrome pipe which came with the bottle trap has a 32mm EXTERNAL diameter so when you put in a 36mm hole its far to loose to use.

Is this how they are meant to come or are they meant to have a 36mm external diameter on the Chrome pipe as well? Anyone seen a fitting which I might be able to use for this?

Thanks

Have you shortened the pipe?

I have just had a look at mine and measured it.  The chrome pipe, where it exits the bottle trap measured about 32mm OD.  But at the end, it flares up to a larger diameter that I measured as 35mm and that nicely fits a "32mm" compression fitting.

Here is one picked at random from ebay to show how the pipe flares up at the end to a bigger size

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Plated-Bottle-Trap-BNIB/283898803468?hash=item4219aff50c:g:mrwAAOSwK4pey8BS

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Have you shortened the pipe?

I have just had a look at mine and measured it.  The chrome pipe, where it exits the bottle trap measured about 32mm OD.  But at the end, it flares up to a larger diameter that I measured as 35mm and that nicely fits a "32mm" compression fitting.

Here is one picked at random from ebay to show how the pipe flares up at the end to a bigger size

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Plated-Bottle-Trap-BNIB/283898803468?hash=item4219aff50c:g:mrwAAOSwK4pey8BS

Thats interesting.

The one I got with the trap is just a straight 32mm, no flare. I just measured both ends again to be sure. 

Maybe I can find just the pipe to buy then. I haven't cut it, this is how it came. Also the chrome cover which goes on the wall where the pipe enters it only has a 32mm hole in it so would need a new one of those too. 

IMG_2954.JPG

Ah its european size! Thanks very much. Annoying as they clearly state it fits standard UK 32mm fittings.

Maybe this will do me in the end of a standard compression fitting:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MCALPINE-R-SEAL-1-x-32mm-Euro-Synthetic-Rubber-Reducer/302707723217?hash=item467ac94bd1:g:L2MAAOSwGvhULBLy

There is no room to add an extra fitting otherwise it will show.

23 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

Have you tried a 32mm push fit fitting, they are smaller than solvent weld.

I would have thought a compression type joint would have worked, if not as pretty

Not tired this but as they are still 32mm internally, and the pipe I think is still 34mm externally might still be a little loose. I think i have a push fit fitting somewhere, will try it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the posts. I ended up changing the solvent weld elbow into a compression elbow and then got the rubber seal which fits perfectly for anyone else looking for a solution to this. It just sits inside the regular compression seal.

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

• Like 1