Mesh in brickwork to stop cracking

Drew1000

I am hoping to get the brickies in next week to start work on two houses I am building.  One is mostly facing brick whilst the other is primarily blockwork which will get rendered.  Both have small elevations which will be done in stone (Thistle stone/Fyfestone).  I'm sure the brickies will can advise but I would like to get some advice from those with experience on where and how much mesh to incorporate tp prevent cracking at a later date.  I seem to remember three courses below windows but not sure.  Also do you use mesh with the stonework and facing brick or is it just the bits that will be rendered.  The houses are not being sold on so I would be happy to spend a bit extra on a few rolls of mesh as a belt and braces.  So if you were building this for yourself what would you advise.

Regards

You will often see on site mesh sticking out of block work where a internal wall is to be built 

If your worried about render cracking you can either fibre mesh or steel mesh the area to be rendered Prior to top coat 

I used some mesh on courses below the area where a corbled plinth will support the 250mm overhang of a false brick chimney. The idea was to counteract any tendency of the wall to buckle in the horizontal plane when the chimney is subject to gusts of wind. My building control inspector liked the proposal. The blocks are medium/light Plasmore fibolites.

Like @nodI have also seen mesh sticking out of a main internal block wall as anchor pounts for another wall to be built later. My brickie preferred proper socket block bonding.

I too like fully bonded, a must for load bearing, strangely insurers and bodies seem to say don’t bond in partitions. I didn’t bother with an an insurance backed guarantee and bonded in all my walls. No issues and I am past the ten year mark and thousands of pounds richer. 

Is this mesh the rolls of expanded metal lath?  You can also get some stuff that looks a bit like train track that goes in the mortar bed.  You can use it to make brickwork act like a beam or lintel.

• Like 1

It used to get built into brick walls in most of the town centres here in NI when a guy wearing a mask would leave a large amount of fertilizer and a coded warning. Haven't seen it in years though and never on a house.

Mr punter its on a roll.  I spoke with the brickie today and he says he is happy to put it above and below window openings.  I have no other use for it so thought as a belt and braces i would use it as the house is being rendered.  Thanks for replies