Plasterboard disposal

Bitpipe

I don't think the cardboard will survive Dave - our plasterer was fussy about the floor being uncluttered when he's using stilts (fair enough) and there is a lot of water slopping about so the board will get soggy and rip.

3mm Corex is much more robust but obviously not free!

On the topic of cardboard, be careful how you try and get rid of it!

Like others, we had mountains of cardboard packaging, the kitchen and flooring being the worst culprits.  I started off bringing it home and sticking it in our recycling bin, but got a warning note on the bin that it was over-full.  I then started filling the back of the car with it and taking it to the local recycling centre every couple of weeks.  On the third visit to the recycling centre I was stopped just after driving in and told to leave.  Apparently someone had reported me for illegal dumping of "trade waste", despite the fact that I was clearly a retired old bloke driving a Toyota Prius......................

There's another Wiltshire recycling centre a few miles away, so I tried that, and again got stopped at the gate.  Apparently they have ANPR systems on their CCTV, specifically to catch banned vehicles from entering.  As it happens, our new build is right on the Wiltshire/Dorset boundary and although it was much easier for me to use the Wiltshire recycling centres, as they were more or less in the same direction as home, I found that I wasn't blacklisted from the Dorset one in the other direction, so just went there instead.  I probably made a dozen trips to the Dorset centre and they've not yet said a word about me dumping cardboard and polystyrene packaging there.

Burning wasn't an option where we are, deep in a valley, as it'd be both a nuisance and a health hazard.

Roadside wheelie bins in laybys are handy as well.  I know all the ones that don't have a bracket to stop you opening the lid by more than 3"

It's handy having more than one vehicle if taking a lot of stuff to the tip, we have 3 between us that I can use.

Has anyone a more organised opinion on burying chipboard? That's quite interesting. Is it actually OK to bury if it has been broken up?

Cardboard for recycling I tend to leave out in the rain for a couple of days to be scrunchable, then if I'm being good I'll let it dry in scrunched form, as more will go in the recycle bin. I would use the water butt to water it, but there has been no shortage of rain.

I've never had problems burning cardboard, just as long as a something is on top to catch the fly-ash.

My other bin trick is to put cardboard then something heavy at the bottom, to make sure it all comes out.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

• 4 months later...

Here is Oxfordshire we get charged to take plasterboard to the tip.  It seems to be £5 for a bootful and I pack it into rubble bags and save it up till I have a bootful.  So far it has cost me £10 and the rest I break up and drop into the rubbish wheelie bin every other week.  And once all the bins are out along the street I sometimes deposit a few bits in other bins that are not very full - naughty I know!

we seem okay taking lots of cardboard to the tip so far and I always make a point of saying hello to the chaps there and being nice.  Makes it harder for them to be nasty and charge me, I hope.

• 1 month later...

Hampshire now charge £10 per sheet or £6 per 30 litre bag. I already have 2 x ton bags full to overflowing, and still have enough to fill another two :(

Vaulted ceilings look lovely, but (as said earlier in the thread) create a lot of waste. Guess I'll be getting a skip in.