Light positioning

So !

I’ve got the first sheet of plaster board up .

Bathroom width is 1.88m

My plan was to have 3 rows of lights - 1 metre apart from each row ( approx 4 rows ) .Not sure if this is best ?

My question though is what distance should a recessed light be from a wall ? 30cm ??

cheers

7FD47FC8-E666-4869-AA29-B9E32AAC07E4.jpeg

I think 3 lights in a row is too much 

Bathroom width 1.8mm

Length 3.15m ( but actually 2.55 ceiling )

Perhaps 2 per row and only 2 rows ?

Should point out lights are dimmable ( as a collective bit individually) . Also can be tilted .

This ??

2D12E5FE-0D48-4906-B7F6-B3031559C7D8.jpeg

Consider the beam angle. (Appreciate they can be tilted). Draw a side view, to scale, then project the beam angles down. Some of the flat panel LEDs give a better "spread" than traditional downlights.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pocster said:

This ?

It depends what you like/want. I like creating scallops of light down walls, I like creating interesting light, my attitude is an office should simply be lit whereas a home should be bathed in light. Light is a medium and lights are light artist tools of the trade.

Look at the lighting in this hallway - it is subtle but very cleverly thought out.

cc5706ef3144353f311750001b2adb3f.jpg.8308b868e0d4095bdb5b41d5c0b17c44.jpg

So you need to consider, the optics employed, colour temperature, sharp or soft cut off's etc.

Also bear in mind, that when lighting a space, you must consider what your eyes are going to be looking at, no point in having the floor of a room lit highly yet the walls are dark because that automatically makes the room feel dark. Some rooms benefit from the walls and task areas being lit but very little attention to general light. Restaurants are often lit like this - very low ambient level, but tables, bars and areas of importance picked out in light.

You have only lifted the cover of this book!

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I've got 5 with the rainfall head where the "6th" light would be.  I aimed for symmetry with the body dryer, ceiling speakes etc.

20190410_111034

Yeah . Symmetry is my driving point !

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've got 5 with the rainfall head where the "6th" light would be.  I aimed for symmetry with the body dryer, ceiling speakes etc.

20190410_111034

5 ? Are you counting the recess lights ?

• Like 1

I think lighting is THE most important aspect of the interior design of a house. So hard to get right. I read this to get me going and I learnt a fair bit https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FPX2Q66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My issue is I have no idea what will work, especially around if I have enough lighting/too much without actually experimenting in each room.

• Like 1

Just now, gc100 said:

I think lighting is THE most important aspect of the interior design of a house. So hard to get right. I read this to get me going and I learnt a fair bit https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FPX2Q66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My issue is I have no idea what will work, especially around if I have enough lighting/too much without actually experimenting in each room.

That’s one of the reasons I choose dimmable and tiltable . Deliberately so I can compensate/adjust . I’m going with 4 ceilings lights . Based on @Onoff ‘s pic . It’s not a massive room so perhaps I was getting carried away !!

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

That’s one of the reasons I choose dimmable and tiltable . Deliberately so I can compensate/adjust . I’m going with 4 ceilings lights . Based on @Onoff ‘s pic . It’s not a massive room so perhaps I was getting carried away !!

In my last house there was several spot lights in the bathroom ceiling. I absolutely hated them, horribly over bright, and no at all relaxing in the bath. I have a very different setup for my build in response to that. In fact there are no spot lights planned in the whole build aside from some accent lighting. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gc100 said:

horribly over bright, and no at all relaxing in the bath. 

I can dim mine from the bath!

It's not having enough HW capacity makes it not relaxing...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, pocster said:

What distance are your down lighters from the wall ?

475mm from the window wall to centre of the spot, body dryer, rainfall head. Then 575mm from the wall on the right, to account for the 100mm full length shelf. Room is 2.9m long tile to tile.

Spots are:

Enlite DE8/40

8W

IP65

Fire rated

Fixed

Cool white

Dimmable

60 degree angle 

20190410_111034

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

Our bathroom has a sloping ceiling and triangular dormers which limited where we could put downlights. Electrician recommended a single line 55cm away from the wall  that has the basin/mirror and shower against it. Actually works better than expected.

Personally I prefer wide angle downlights (say >100 degrees) rather than narrow angle (typically 36 degrees). I feel the wider angle produces more even lighting and less shadows. 

If not too late put Zinsser paint on the ceiling (especially above the shower). After the problems we had I wouldn't use anything else now. Someone here recommended it to me. Fantastic stuff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

475mm from the window wall to centre of the spot, body dryer, rainfall head. Then 575mm from the wall on the right, to account for the 100mm full length shelf. Room is 2.9m long tile to tile.

Spots are:

Enlite DE8/40

8W

IP65

Fire rated

Fixed

Cool white

Dimmable

20190410_111034

nice blind - did you choose that?

• Like 1

We've got 10 enlight E5 in the bathroom of 10m2 - on 3 switches. Its a rectangular room with sink + toilet one side & bath + shower the other.  Lights are ~ 6 over the sink and centre of the room / 3 over the bath & shower / single in a dormer.  You can create several different moods by chosing which ones to have on.  Its a hard decision to make with v little guidance.  I think 7 would have been plenty in the room, we may add dimmers.  With 6 on it gives us ~300 lux on the floor and 500 lux at ~ 900mm.  That would be enough light. I think ours are ~ 400 or 450 from walls.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gc100 said:

Whats that unit on the ceiling?

It's an MSTD.

Magical SWMBO Transformation Device. Knocks 30 years off them at the touch of a button.

?