Openreach to Stop Selling Copper Phone in 118 FTTP ready Areas

Here:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/05/openreach-to-stop-selling-copper-phone-in-118-areas-go-fttp.html

Mostly town centers so not going to impact self builders for a while, but, has anyone seen any openreach technical guidance on how to prewire a new build to future proof it to be FTTP ready?

There's the obvious"flood wire it with cat6" but curious what their recommendations are for locating the entry and distribution, places where mains would be needed, where does the fiber ideally get terminated, is there even any call for running copper internal phone extensions anymore (I personally haven't for 2 decades, but still) etc.

I'm now considering with going with only a Virgin install until FTTP is down our street (supposedly 18 months from now, so could be within a year of build finishing). But wondering how to prepare the external wall for the eventual fiber ingress without ruining airtightness.

10 minutes ago, joth said:

....But wondering how to prepare the external wall for the eventual fiber ingress without ruining airtightness.

A 15mm (ish) plastic pipe for the wire, filled post hoc with airtightness foam.

(Daughter works for Open Reach)

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

@ToughButterCup is this still the advice you would give?  We are likely to have FTTP delivered via pole top in the next 6 months, but that will be after our EWI firm has done their magic.  I was searching threads here to see what wire they would use to embed behind the EWI, but take it you would suggest the pipe?

With my build I knew the cable was coming from a nearby pole, so on that corner of the house, under the eaves, I installed a length of overflow pipe (22mm I think) through  into the loft space where I had prewired several rooms, pipe was sealed into the brickwork/blockwork with silicone and after the cable was installed used the same silicone to make it airtight both ends.

• Like 1

I have a small cupboard above a door which houses, the incoming BT line( copper).

incoming TV aerial.

I then have cabled away from this central point, for example plenty of TV points wired when we were rewiring, made off into wall plates in each room and an F connector near the splitter, if TV is required, it’s connected in, if old one isn’t, it’s removed

same idea for data.

keeps it easy to manage

the intruder alarm dump box lives in this cupboard too

Edited by TonyT
  • Like 1