Solved the passive house letterbox issue.

ProDave

Main house has triple glazed doors and windows, no letterbox (or cat flap) We were originally thinking of an external post box on the wall.

Due to the tight budget, when I built the garage, I left out the doors for now (both pedestrian and vehicle)

Yesterday I noticed my neighbour was having a new front door fitted. A quick word with said neighbour, and that door is now the pedestrian door into my garage. Remarkably they got the frame out undamaged and it fitted the hole left for a door almost perfectly.  It's a good quality Swededoor in good condition, so it might well remain as the permanent door.

So being an ex "front door" it has a letterbox. So now we are thinking to just educate the postman that the post goes through the door on the side of the garage and no need for a box on the wall by the front door.

Sounds good to me, assuming you usually have the same person delivering your post.

Maybe a discreet sign somewhere near the front door?  I guess you could add that if you find you're having problems with mail deliveries.

So I said to SWMBO "We need a house name sign. Underneath it will be an arrow pointing left saying post, and an arrow pointing right saying visitors"

"No. This is not bloody tesco" (other supermarkets are available)

We haven't used a letter box (in our front door) for over ten years.  What we have is a post box next to the door.  People lift the lid and can drop letters and small parcels in.  Works a treat.   I will be doing the same in the new house, the only tweak I'd make would be to have a small flag rocker on the lid which tips upright if the lid is opened.  That way we can see if the box has been opened without opening the front door.  

• Like 1

One thing to consider is some sort of enclosure for deliveries.  I haven't had a chance to look more closely yet, but I'm thinking of building a bin enclosure (a more stylish version of this) near the pedestrian gate at the end of our drive and incorporating something like this at one side.  

Remains to be seen whether it can be done without looking shite.