Connecting LED driver to mains

Stones

3 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Yes - I don't see too much of a problem with the wiring. Dave is correct in that the mains wires should be double insulated but they are sat well out of harms way in the kitchen ceiling. I can't see any big issues.

My thoughts exactly tbh. 

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just thought back and the 6w ones deffo did come with unsheathed input cables. 

Why the hell didn't they just supply these drivers with those lights?!? 

Doubtless be some very minor saving doing it that way - 1p or less per unit, but if making millions of them, I guess it will add up.  

The samples I bought do not interfere with FM radio, and bench test no overheating or indeed any significant heat issues, so other than perhaps following peters suggestion of some heat shrink sleeve, I think I will give these a whirl.  Thanks for everyone's input.

15 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Is it actually glorified speaker wire, or is it 230v rated stuff? Any writing on it? 

For testing, put it in a large Tupperware box and seal it in, but put it outside or do NOT leave unnatended. The unit will usually have the heat from the light adding to the running heat of the driver, so recreate that as best you can with the driver sat over the light. Much as leds are supposed to run very cool, these units do get quite warm. 

I bought these ones and they're fine. The 9w have a fantastic output.

FWIW I just made them off with Wagos straight onto the twin and earth cables :). No complaints from me, and just ordered 4 more to go in my boys ( work in progress ) attic conversion, due to the lack of head height.

These also have excellent dispersion vs standard recessed GU10 / MR16 downlights, and can be bought IP66 too with no additional recessed depth. 

Remember that, afaik, you need to supplement these with additional fire proofing measures as they're not fire rates from what I can derive. Anyone know different. ?

1 house, with 1 family occupying it, is 1 fire compartment, no need for FR fittings,

Caveat, having an attached garage may, or may not, change this, depends on how the garage has been attached.

I've seen similar 600x600's and they're great. They came naked / frameless and were supplied to drop directly into a modular suspended ceiling, with an optional frame for installing onto a regular ceiling. 

With LED it's usually a good idea to buy a sample and see what the light is like as they do vary and can be anywhere between yellow and blue tints. 

Guest Alphonsox

We've just had 600x600 put in at work to replace florescent tube units. As Nick says these drop directly into the modular ceiling system so are a very quick fit. The light is of a very good quality and has brightened up the place no end. I'm not sure they would be a good choice for general domestic use, I certainly prefer our 6W spotlights. Take a good look before committing.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I certainly understand "made for the office modular ceiling" view. I personally care not too much about appearance (unless it is quite ugly) and a lot about utility and want to figure out what makes them so unsuitable for the domestic use, say, for a kitchen/diner or a bathroom (the latter subject to usual zone restrictions).

One of the main reasons I have seen people do not recommend downlights in a living room is it may be uncomfortable when lying on the sofa but that would equally be a problem with the small round ones. In the kitchen one rarely looks up so this should be less of an issue. Certainly our current GU10 LED replacements in a spotlight are a pain to look at anyway. So - is it only the aesthetics?

Just realised that I can have it both ways - as Nick says, buy to see how it works and if it does not I can always put it in the garage. Problem solved :-)

18 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Quite like those panels for my garage/workshop. Do they give off a nice working light?

Yep..! I've got a 1200x300 one which I picked up in an auction for £5 and it's like daylight when you switch it on ..!

Im adding two in the garage - this one I have will be put over a work bench. 

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep..! I've got a 1200x300 one which I picked up in an auction for £5 and it's like daylight when you switch it on ..!

Im adding two in the garage - this one I have will be put over a work bench. 

Lovely, that sorts out the garage lighting then :)

• Like 1