Rethinking design in the light of COVID 19

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Coupled with this idea - one I'd not thought of either .... and I'm getting somewhere.

How do we solve the held-open door in the case of a downstairs wetroom? Is there such a thing as hold-door-opener which releases its grip after a while?

That would only be any use if you had an auto closer on it as well, perhaps?

The ones I used are these, which are stainless steel with a spring loaded "soft catch", and so would work, but you could close the door with a shoulder nudge if it opened the right way. They are cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CLWN3CS/

Consider though, that many wetrooms will have doors opening outward.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

[...]

I have always believed we need exposure to bugs in small quantities to give us immunity. 

[...]

But that doesn't work for everyone in contact with C-19 does it?

I'm thinking of the use cases when a member of the extended family drops by - or a short-stay guest -  and wants to use the downstairs wetroom. 

They are going to feel no compulsion (as I currently do, @Jeremy Harris) to do a quick rinse round the tap they have just used a la -

" After using the bathroom, leave it a bit cleaner than you found it."

So taps and doors of the wetroom only need to be made very easy to keep clean. Preferrably  nearly zero effort, and taking a few seconds

Frankly, some leaver nudge taps fit the bill exactly as required. Nearly there about the doors design. Thanks @Ferdinand

20 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

But that doesn't work for everyone in contact with C-19 does it?

I'm thinking of the use cases when a member of the extended family drops by - or a short-stay guest -  and wants to use the downstairs wetroom. 

They are going to feel no compulsion (as I currently do, @Jeremy Harris) to do a quick rinse round the tap they have just used a la -

" After using the bathroom, leave it a bit cleaner than you found it."

So taps and doors of the wetroom only need to be made very easy to keep clean. Preferrably  nearly zero effort, and taking a few seconds

Frankly, some leaver nudge taps fit the bill exactly as required. Nearly there about the doors design. Thanks @Ferdinand

Is "nudge" a word they use ? .

Though I'd just made it up.

30 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Is "nudge" a word they use

It is in the social sciences.

Not sure how effective it is really.  Seems to work in simple, clear cut cases i.e. weeing into a urinal, but not more complicated issues.  Three word slogans seem to work bets there.

As part of my build I’m putting a workshop / store on the plot.  In light of this pandemic once things get back to normal I’m going to dedicate a section of this building to emergency supplies.  Had thought about this a while ago but my wife said I was mental.  Not now though.   Just sensible & proportionate stuff that I could use in normal life and replenish when used especially if they have expiry dates.   But enough to keep us going if something similar happened in future which is entirely possible.  As my plot is slightly rural would be handy if snowed in etc for a few weeks.  

2 minutes ago, Bozza said:

As part of my build I’m putting a workshop / store on the plot.  In light of this pandemic once things get back to normal I’m going to dedicate a section of this building to emergency supplies.  Had thought about this a while ago but my wife said I was mental.  Not now though.   Just sensible & proportionate stuff that I could use in normal life and replenish when used especially if they have expiry dates.   But enough to keep us going if something similar happened in future which is entirely possible.  As my plot is slightly rural would be handy if snowed in etc for a few weeks.  

Sounds a good idea.  Only tip I'd add is to try really hard to make it rodent-proof.  I included a storage area above my workshop, boarded out, with an electric hoist to get stuff up and down easily, loft ladder, etc.  It's plagued with mice, I must have caught at least a couple of dozen so far.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Sounds a good idea.  Only tip I'd add is to try really hard to make it rodent-proof.  I included a storage area above my workshop, boarded out, with an electric hoist to get stuff up and down easily, loft ladder, etc.  It's plagued with mice, I must have caught at least a couple of dozen so far.

You need a cat !

Sheds / garages will never be rodent proof.  One year I filled the lawnmower tank for the first time only to watch it all drain onto the floor.  A mouse had eaten through the petrol hose from the tank.

• Haha 1