Critique my final design (almost?) ready for Planning Permission...

What’s the reasoning behind the additional landing lobby to Bed 2? Why can’t the door be on the line of the stair wall? The current stair design complies with BR’s but if you’re worried about the space between the last riser and door opening to Bed 2, why don’t you reduce the length of that main flight by introducing some kite winders to the quarter landing?

Can the door to Bed 1 be opposite to Bed 2 meaning you can get a full return of wardrobes to the Dressing area?

Just a minor furnishing comment but the bed to Bed 2 may be better positioned on the left hand side wall as opposed to against/under the window.

If you are going for a second floor either now or later, make sure the sliding/pocket doors to the protected stair can be made fire resisting.

On 17/07/2020 at 20:30, Ferdinand said:

design.jpg.69730b6a805df614c70823939c681a3e.jpg

It's not design by committee, it's design by buildhub!

Seriously though, perhaps in retrospect I could've saved time by "consolidating all changes" while I thought through every aspect of the house design, but there's a ton of things that were suggested/discussed on buildhub that made it into the plan without dramatically modifying the original vision of the architect.

Weird, I missed your post!

What’s the reasoning behind the additional landing lobby to Bed 2? Why can’t the door be on the line of the stair wall? The current stair design complies with BR’s but if you’re worried about the space between the last riser and door opening to Bed 2, why don’t you reduce the length of that main flight by introducing some kite winders to the quarter landing?

2 reasons:

1/ Visual. Compare: (sorry I don't know why the program is changing the colors, ignore.

nodoorcrop.thumb.jpg.d9c43fd7a893e7dd39ad80fb94124074.jpgdoorcrop.thumb.jpg.61b1a37efd8678f2572c50d60f516170.jpg

As you perhaps agree, the hallway in the first picture looks, to the eye, as if it could go on for miles. It gives the impression of a larger house.

2/ The hallway actually can fit a door, allowing us to easily split the one big bedroom into two.

Can the door to Bed 1 be opposite to Bed 2 meaning you can get a full return of wardrobes to the Dressing area?

Of course it can but the idea of our walkin is that my wife and me have very different bed schedules, so it's important for us to have a separate dressing room (light/noise) from the bed, but also we'd like a spacious master bed, so with the pocket doors open, the walkin effectively is added to the depth of the master bed. 

Just a minor furnishing comment but the bed to Bed 2 may be better positioned on the left hand side wall as opposed to against/under the window.

Slightly confused. (to be clear though sadly I didn't notice the bedroom numbering on my designs (yellow walls) and the arch is different. Now fixed in my design. 

Not quite sure which bed you want to put where.

If you are going for a second floor either now or later, make sure the sliding/pocket doors to the protected stair can be made fire resisting.

Yep, good shout. But probably not achievable to hit 2200mm head height. Either way not a bad idea.

Edited by puntloos