Emersion heater timer

So I came home last night to the wife moaning we had no hot water and the timer had stopped working 

now this emersion timer has been in use for about 5 years, do things like this only last this long nowadays or I’d there something killing them ??

our timer on the heated towel rail is playing up as well and that’s about 3 years old. 5C5F1AC2-8128-46E8-91E8-FBDED52FC92C.thumb.jpeg.746cb030bbf2860d4bec3f1d09bc5063.jpeg

I don’t remember it being cheap. 

Any thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I don’t remember it being cheap. 

I bought some, all about the same price, one sort lasted a few months, the others have been in over 10 years now.

These are the ones that lasted, and they have battery backup.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITAL-IMMERSION-HEATER-TIMER-LG-DIHT/dp/B0066NEBO6

• Like 1

I've had relays and power supply circuits fail in time switches.  Right now the relay in our ~3 year old heating programmer is starting to fail.  It sometimes doesn't switch on, and needs a hard tap to jar the relay enough to make it operate.  I suspect these things are being "value engineered" to the point where long term reliability is starting to suffer.

FWIW, I repaired a faulty relay in a time switch at our old house, and that was still working about ten years later when we sold the place.  I strongly suspect that the brand name relay I used as a replacement was a great deal more reliable than the no-name bit of Chinese tat that was fitted originally.

• Like 1

What's on the other side of the PCB?

It looks as if it may just be that the PCB track has burned out, if that connection is to a relay contact.  Could be something as simple as a dodgy solder joint that's decided to fail, and the black marks are where it's been arcing. 

A fault like this wouldn't trip an MCB, but would now be picked up by an arc fault detection device (AFDD).

As long as the relay is okay a bit of soldering will fix that.  I would lay a bit of copper cable on the track to reinforce it when repairing that.

It reminds me of one make of solar PV dverter that a friend has.  I have twice repaired it where PCB tracks have failed like that.  It has not failed again since I laid a length of 2.5mm copper cable along the track to reinforce it.