Internal waste fittings: push or solvent weld

ToughButterCup

On drainagepipe.co.uk, while reading the support and instructions page (for me, rare, I admit) I bumped into this ;

INTERESTING FACT

Push Fit Waste systems are far more popular in the North of the UK, whilst Southerners seem to favour Solvent Weld Waste!

https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/soil-and-waste/push-fit-and-solvent-weld-waste-pipes-explaining-the-differences/

Theres a support video too: punch line : " The choice is yours"

Does it matter then? I suspect not ... 

And if that's the case then isn't it an argument for Multifit ? 

I think @pocster   (?) and I should use Pushfit maybe?

• Like 1

For me I mostly used push fit for the 110mm with some solvent weld where things were a bit tight (often a SW fitting is a bit smaller than the same push fit)

For the smaller stuff, 50 / 40 / 30mm I use solvent weld except for things like sink traps.

20 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

On drainagepipe.co.uk, while reading the support and instructions page (for me, rare, I admit) I bumped into this ;

Theres a support video too: punch line : " The choice is yours"

Does it matter then? I suspect not ... 

And if that's the case then isn't it an argument for Multifit ? 

I think @pocster   (?) and I should use Pushfit maybe?

Girls push fit ( hence up North ) , real men always weld 

I love solvent weld, I use it for most waste runs and use a compression where I need to have the ability separate something or may need into it. You cannot mix solvent and push-fit without the adaptor pieces or a compression fitting. I did a lot of push-fit waste years ago and compared to solvent weld it feels a bit inferior. 

I always put in screw in blanking ends too - T here and there with a plug seems like a good idea for getting in in the future for blockages, I also always try and engineer enough pipe between tight joints so that if needed, I can cut it off hard up against the fitting I am removing and still have enough of a stub of pipe left I can weld another union on. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’ve no idea who you mean .

I was meaning when at the last minute SWMBO changed the layout of our en-suite.  And before that, changed the layout of the main bathroom.

By the time I got to solvent welding the bath and basin waste, the layout was set in stone (or set in welded PVC)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I was meaning when at the last minute SWMBO changed the layout of our en-suite.  And before that, changed the layout of the main bathroom.

By the time I got to solvent welding the bath and basin waste, the layout was set in stone (or set in welded PVC)

I was being facetious....

I've grown to like solvent weld. Secret is to dry assemble everything and put alignment marks so you can reassemble it quickly and accurately with the glue on. Don't be too mean with the glue either.

• Like 1