Roz

A leak in a lockdown - help me remove these radiators

Recommended Posts

OK so we had a plumber booked in today to remove some old radiators in my mums bathroom, which is under renovation by us. The plumber cancelled because of the lockdown (I know there is a lot of confusion about who can work and who cant) One of the radiators is leaking ( a little, but still). Our plan is actually to remove these radiators completely - there are two. 

Can anyone walk me through how to do this? Unless I shouldnt and should try to find someone who can do it.  I have disconnected the bath and toilet and sink etc as thats a matter of just turning the water supply to the house off before cutting and capping the pipes, but what do I need to do for radiators? Attached are pics of the tank, and the radiators. 

 

85063520_2902700836462701_5804753205120204800_n.thumb.jpg.4e0e892860df0d0beb9ee3d5be3e10b8.jpg90524217_243964703425714_2655635462311378944_n.thumb.jpg.c7c0f0f7313e733d38d3a61906d7bc23.jpg90775755_200276454595140_6917556773129814016_n.thumb.jpg.222261682285e73d17e1960cc680f817.jpg

 

90673100_206347890640455_3837636592751607808_n.thumb.jpg.70e3ae40959653816feb681dc8ceb2a5.jpg90615548_220199836011077_7698911482909556736_n.thumb.jpg.966ff6b49362661595ba116884a93313.jpg90525446_918126315286517_6303283996335800320_n.thumb.jpg.208b6f29efdd689be16d4b7245fd3a3a.jpg90511174_2927128890666123_472128407476371456_n.thumb.jpg.97a4c0921a3329917ff3832337ca0faf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the plumber is wrong to cancel this job.  The "lockdown" document does not tell all industry and all trades to shut down.  The document allows travel to essential work.  Most of the tradesmen I have spoken to agree a leaking pipe or a fault with an electrical circuit are essential things to fix so allowed.

 

Most of us now would not attend for a non essential think like change a light fitting,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I think the plumber is wrong to cancel this job.  The "lockdown" document does not tell all industry and all trades to shut down.  The document allows travel to essential work.  Most of the tradesmen I have spoken to agree a leaking pipe or a fault with an electrical circuit are essential things to fix so allowed.

 

Most of us now would not attend for a non essential think like change a light fitting,

To be fair he was told the job was just removing the radiators, and then I told him about the leak after he cancelled in case it meant he would want to come. I didn't want to be pushy, I just know self employed people arent being helped right now so every job counts. We're in rural cornwall and dont see many people unless essential the last couple of weeks so we're pretty low risk anyway, but I'm not going to pester him! I suppose it means I might be able to find someone else though.

Hope everyone can keep their heads above water in this weird time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All sorts of people are cancelling. We've just had a windscreen replacement cancel all jobs. This is a big company tied to our insurance co.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve just had the electrical and plumbing company walk off site 

There lads would rather be paid 80% and stay at home 

The company has been told to get them back tomorrow 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nod said:

We’ve just had the electrical and plumbing company walk off site 

There lads would rather be paid 80% and stay at home 

The company has been told to get them back tomorrow 

Self employed people will be scouring the rules to say where it says I can (or at least confirm it does not say I can't)

 

Employees will just take the general guidance without looking at the detail and say "I can't"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Self employed people will be scouring the rules to say where it says I can (or at least confirm it does not say I can't)

 

Employees will just take the general guidance without looking at the detail and say "I can't"

Yes I don’t think you can force anyone to come in 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the job in hand do one radiator at a time 

 

close radiator valves both sides

 best to take white cap off valve and

use adjustable  spanner for last little tighten

then with your radiator key open bleed valve at top ,

water should stop coming out once pressure  has dropped

( if water keeps piddling out then your radiator  valve is letting by and will continue to drain the system plus get your floor wet ).

On the assumption water stops you can now remove radiator

 

crack each valve taking care not to bend the pipe connector to valve

( use 2 spanners/wrench  to fight a against  each other one on the valve one on the valve nut )

before doing this create  a exit to bath or outside

if going over good carpet put dust sheets down ...you will spill a drop of black sludge .

 

Ok loosen one  side get o/h to push valve against  radiator 

when you have loosened this stops excess  water dispersion ,

then loosen other side .

Right once both are loosened  you can quickly put fingers over radiator outlets and lift off ,

on smaller radiators  I then spin over top to bottom to stop water leaking out

( make sure you've tightened the bleed valve back up) then exit to drain off .

If you wish to remove all pipework your need to drain the system down .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Danny68 said:

open bleed valve at top ,

water should stop coming out once pressure  has dropped

( if water keeps piddling out then your radiator  valve is letting by and will continue to drain the system plus get your floor wet ).

On the assumption water stops you can now remove radiator

 

Good tip Danny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny enough I'm having a similar problem, not rads just old pipes I need to remove. Been my carry on plumbing here what with first the stop value locked up so could cut of the water in the house, then finding the one outside and discovering the tap was more than an arms length down, then more or less guessing which 2 of 3 pipes I could remove, tapping the end of the other. Then then I could find either of the 2 pipe cutters I have and the hack saw broke. Ended up using a the jig saw but only had a worn out wood blade - very very churky if you are interested. Did 3 cuts with that before it snapped so still need to cut the pipes the loft before I can remove them. Order in for more jigsaw blades from Amazon but even then 6 out the last 8 orders from them have gone elsewhere 🙂

Fun & games, good luck mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now