Advice? is this quote a TAD expensive

SteveM1971

Hi Folks,

Just want a second opinion, we got a quote for a leak in our roof, a company came out and said our roof will propbably need replacing and will send a quote.  i got the attached quote a few days later, just wondered if it is about standard, i was expecting around 4/5k.

Thank you.

Scaffolding Platforms: Erect working scaffold platforms to the front and rear elevation gutter lines of the property 1 £600.00 £600.00

Pitched Roof: Strip off all the existing mortar at the verges, ridge tiles, vent tiles, concrete roof tiles, lath battens, lead on the valley gutter and perished bitumen under felt. Replace any sections of the valley gutter boards that are rotten. Install new Proctors Roofshield vapour permeable breathable membrane pitched roof underlay, eaves guard trays and tanalised lath battens. Re-fix all the lead sheets on the valley gutters replacing any sections that are damaged or corroded. Re-fix all the concrete roof tiles replacing any that are damaged or broken. Re-fix the concrete ridge tiles mechanically secured using dry ridge fixing system. Point the sides of the valley gutters using new mortar. Install new black UPVC interlocking dry verge covers system. Clear out the gutters. Clear up all spoil and remove from site in skip 1 £7,100.00 

£7,100.00 All work is guaranteed for 5 years 

Edited by SteveM1971

..working scaffold platforms to the front and rear elevation gutter lines ..

I've never had a roof replaced but if they are taking off tiles and membrane I'd be concerned about the weather.  Would you normally have a scaffolding tent/canopy over the house to keep rain out or just a few tarps thrown over the top? I'd certainly want to see their insurance (and notify mine).

Bit of googling found quite a range ..

https://www.mybuilder.com/pricing-guides/roof-cost

Overall, we estimate that the average cost for a roof replacement in the UK will come in at around £5,000 to £6,000. However, at the very cheapest end of the spectrum, replacing the felt roof on a garage should only cost around, £1,000, whereas replacing all the slate tiles on a large family home may cost as much as £12,000.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/1679757-Is-it-normal-for-roofing-companies-to-quote-without-scaffolding-costs

I had a new roof last year the quote included everything (scaffolding, replacement timbers, chimney re pointing, tiles and a velux window, All came to £7k. (in 2013).

https://www.homeadviceguide.com/guide-to-re-roofing-costs-how-much-does-it-cost-to-re-roof-a-house/

The UK national average cost to replace a roof is £5,300 with most homeowners spending between £2,300  and £7,300. Roof installation cost ranges from £300 to £380 per square metre depending on the roof size and materials used in reroofing. Expect to spend £1,050 to £2,100 to remove your current roof before installing a replacement.

Somewhere I've also seen an estimate of £10K to replace all the roof tiles on a typical house. Was made up of £8000 materials and £2000 Labour and taking two weeks.

No idea how accurate these are.

They will break quite a lot of tiles so I'd check that you can actually buy the type you have (or get them to provide a sample of a near equivalent). I'd also ask that all the replacements are used on the back of the house (so the front looks all original).

• Thanks 1

Try and get another quote or two and review from there.  It does sound pricey if they're re-using your existing tiles, but there's too many variables that we've not really touched on yet; size of the roof, number of valleys and complexities, access, local supply and demand. 

22 hours ago, SteveM1971 said:

I’m in Yorkshire, I asked a few friends and most say it’s roughly around 5k, some other friends have said he priced it so high as he didn’t really want the work. 

Get 3/5 quotes from different roofing firms and make your choice from there.

On 25/02/2020 at 19:14, Temp said:

I've never had a roof replaced but if they are taking off tiles and membrane I'd be concerned about the weather.  Would you normally have a scaffolding tent/canopy over the house to keep rain out or just a few tarps thrown over the top? I'd certainly want to see their insurance (and notify mine).

I'm a roofer and we do this on every strip and re-tile. You only strip off what you are able to felt again in the same day.

Scaffolding tents aren't needed unless you are taking off all the trusses.

• Like 2