ASHP 'Hybrid'

paulc313

6 minutes ago, paulc313 said:

@ProDave It's for a new build. I suppose it's anxiety about using a new technology that we've never used before so want peace of mind that if something goes wrong at least the oil will be a back up.

Then just fit a normal ASHP. you have the option with a new build to fit UFH or large capacity radiators that work well with lower temperature water so the ASHP will work well.

The hybrid oil boiler thing is really aimed at a retro fit where you are stuck with normal radiators that have to run at high temperatures.  the theory is the ASHP heats the water the first stage and the boiler heats it the last bit, but I am unclear how that really works in practice.

@ProDave Ok thanks, I'm just looking at all the options just now. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to these things. What happens when you may have guests round and multiple people taking showers one after the other? I take all the water in the tank gets used up and you'll have to wait a couple of hours for it to heat up again?

3 minutes ago, paulc313 said:

@ProDave Ok thanks, I'm just looking at all the options just now. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to these things. What happens when you may have guests round and multiple people taking showers one after the other? I take all the water in the tank gets used up and you'll have to wait a couple of hours for it to heat up again?

The tank will have an immersion heater and many heat pumps also have an auxilliary electric heater that can all be turned on if you need a quick re heat.

Like @ProDave we have an ASHP that does heating and DHW, the only problem with an ASHP is the slow heat up time , I have two thermostats, middle one for the normal two of us and bottom one for when we have guests, we also have two immersions (middle and lower) as back up, if all that fails I will boil a kettle ???.

• Like 1

@joe90 @ProDave Thanks. I've had a quote from a contractor who said the following for our house (it's a 5 bed 250m2 detached house): 

We would suggest this system is spilt into 2 smaller air source heat pumps. Downstairs designed with a flow of 35degree and the upstairs radiators with a flow design of 45degree connected to a 500litre thermal store to give the highest efficiency use of the hot water.

Are they trying to get more money out of me by recommending two ASHP system or would this be a good way of doing it? 

That sounds odd to me, I would have thought a single ASHP would be cheaper.

21 hours ago, paulc313 said:

I suppose it's anxiety about using a new technology that we've never used before

it’s not that new, loads exists and the technology has been around for many years in fridges.

27 minutes ago, paulc313 said:

@joe90 @ProDave Thanks. I've had a quote from a contractor who said the following for our house (it's a 5 bed 250m2 detached house): 

We would suggest this system is spilt into 2 smaller air source heat pumps. Downstairs designed with a flow of 35degree and the upstairs radiators with a flow design of 45degree connected to a 500litre thermal store to give the highest efficiency use of the hot water.

Are they trying to get more money out of me by recommending two ASHP system or would this be a good way of doing it? 

And why would you want a hotter temperature upstairs?  Many of us find no need for any heating upstairs.

• 7 months later...

Ive done a bit of research into these, in short the ASHP is used on the low demand days, cooler days use the ASHP and boiler mix and very cold days, Boiler only.

Im currently researching adding and ASHP to my system to do similar to the above. A single ASHP does not meet my heat requirements but could certainly help out my heating requirements.