Cracks in mortar

H F

Just painting the master bathroom and got to the window and saw a few small signs of damp. I looked outside the window and have found small gaps in the mortar around the window frame.

with these and storms water has obviously made its way in.

is the solution remortaring in the summer or is there a chemical compound we can use?

12645D91-4002-4A12-AC5D-F8CE84F55C43.jpeg

C8FE7914-9D06-4631-8726-D084AC4930FA.jpeg

8C01B6C8-12A9-406B-8472-D26809464068.jpeg

B5596749-29C5-4C72-AE3B-C081EAFADF57.jpeg

1 hour ago, Home Farm said:

No idea why these photos are upside down when I’ve uploaded them

Stood on your feet not the head next time :-).

Looks like an opportunity to learn repointing, but on an old house it is just wear and tear.

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

Yes I edited my first post as I only had something negative to say about the sealant......... 

I know. Every thing we look at in this bloody house has an issue. It’s draining.

I take it you don’t typically use sealant? Yes? No? I have no idea.

Edited by Home Farm

Have you a better pic, it looks to me that this is not a window in an original location, if you look at the brickwork you would not end up with a mortar joint up against the frame. 

Looking at the terrible silicon I think it has been patched up previously 

i think it is probably a job for the spring where you will need to cut out all the manky stuff and work out where it is getting in. 

It is probably just penetrating through the jamb around the frame

is it solid brickwork ?

The mortar has come away because the sealant has not provided enough  of a backing for it and it’s just broken away from the brick, yes it’s just general wear and tear but exasperated in this location. For a quick fix just rake it out and make up a week mix of sand cement and lime and fill it back up again. As @Russell griffiths says come spring it would be a good idea to do a proper job, cut out all the shite and any loose mortar or bits of brick and have it redone properly. 

28 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

I take it you don’t typically use sealant? Yes? No? I have no idea.

I think most people would use an expandable strip to seal round the windows (someone will know it’s name....) and then either silicone or some other covering to hide this. I used expanding foam round the edge of the frames, ct1 silicon between the stonework and the front of the frame and then made a Week lime, cement, sand mix and took this up to the wood as the frames were fitted from the inside.  It was then painted and nothing has cracked or moved or leaked in the last 6+ years. My frames are hardwood and made by a friend of a friend. Probably not the proper way but I was just following my instincts....... 

CA0E628E-939D-4DE4-A638-46BBE482F8D3.jpeg

B4A0C78B-E6BB-43F5-AF20-723B2BEA3A9A.jpeg