Moving Openreach flying telephone wires

Hello. I've read a few threads around this issue that have been very helpful, however I was hoping someone might be able to confirm what I'm thinking and fill in any gaps!

We have two overhead flying wires crossing the corner of our site. They run from a pole on the pavement opposite our site to the eaves of a neighbouring 3 storey school building. The corner of our proposed house will also be under the wires, with the ridge at about 5m above ground. I'm not sure exactly how high the wires are over the site, but I suspect they would end up very close to the roof.

I contacted Openreach to ask what the options were, and they suggested I start a new site enquiry so they could quote for a new connection for our use. We're not really expecting to need one, but I wasn't sure if I should say that yet. So after sending them full details of the site, they've now written back saying that their existing apparatus may be affected by our works and a survey is now required - for which they require a payment of an estimated total of £943. Following the survey they will provide a detailed estimate and specification for the alterations. The line seems to be that they need to ensure their network is protected, and therefore we need to pay whatever it costs for them to resolve. That may be fair and normal procedure, but given the that the works could end up costing several thousands I just wanted to check if anyone's had similar experiences.

The site plan shows that the pole would likely need to me moved about 5m along the pavement for the wires (blue dashed line) to completely bypass our site and run over the school's grounds instead.

Thanks!

002_L11_01.thumb.jpg.07484684de61f43884f43f80ffc2538a.jpg

Here's a photo;

Photo.thumb.jpg.5a05f73c8b80f358fecb67979431014d.jpg

Moving the existing pole would be  very expensive way to resolve it. There would be digging up the pavement and re routing / extending underground cables feeding the pole.

A far cheaper solution is a new pole on the boundary between you and the school to divert it.

But first see the answer to the question above.

Or just do nothing yet and see just how close to your roof it ends up?

My guess is talking to the "man on the ground" about a new connection to your house may yield a solution so worth doing that first.  Most of us have found Open Reach very difficult to deal with through official channels but once you meet the local team they are very much easier to talk to.

EDIT: looking again, an even simpler solution is re route it so it comes onto a different part of the school building, no new poles needed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alex_O said:

I contacted Openreach to ask what the options were, and they suggested I start a new site enquiry so they could quote for a new connection for our use. We're not really expecting to need one, but I wasn't sure if I should say that yet. So after sending them full details of the site, they've now written back saying that their existing apparatus may be affected by our works and a survey is now required - for which they require a payment of an estimated total of £943. Following the survey they will provide a detailed estimate and specification for the alterations. The line seems to be that they need to ensure their network is protected, and therefore we need to pay whatever it costs for them to resolve. That may be fair and normal procedure, but given the that the works could end up costing several thousands I just wanted to check if anyone's had similar experiences.

You would be amazed when that man on the ground could do, especially if there was something in it for him - Dave's approach is a good one.

Then option 2. 

I'd write to them informing them that as they do not have a wayleave you are giving them notice that you will no longer allow the casual arrangement to permit the wires to overfly your property.

See where that gets you - worked for 2 of our neighbours. 

BT will try and BS you, so you BS them - it works the world over from the classroom to the courtroom. 

Edited by Carrerahill

I would suggest this - contact BT and put a request in for a new connection. They will send an OR team to site who you can then collar to get their opinion on what to do about the overflying wire. Then cancel the BT line request. You should not need to pay anyone anything.

This is how I got a friendly OR guy to work up a free quote for them to duct across the street to a pole (all ducting on my side was already in situ).  We agreed that it would be cheaper (and probably better quality) to get my groundworker to do it and just coil the appropriate cable at the foot of the pole. I cancelled the BT order and did so.

Month or two later I renew the BT line order and when the guys turn up, they're happy to see the cable at foot of pole with other end already run into the plant room. 

Job done.

You don't mention what you plan to do for your own telecom provision?

Thanks to all for the very helpful suggestions - definitely sounds like there's plenty of options to try before shelling out significant amounts! I'll let you know how it works out...

@Bitpipe - good question! We ditched our BT land line and Virgin cable a few years and haven't really missed either - we use mobiles for calls and Relish for wireless 4G broadband. We'll need to check the specific signal quality for Relish on the site, but various mobile providers all seem to get a good signal.

• 8 months later...