Extracting two bathrooms on the same ductwork

Moonshine

Due to the layout of the house i am designing, as a bathroom and en-suite are close together there is the potential for both to share the same extractor duct work, which means only one external penetration, which is good.

However there vents would need to have some sort of check valve in them so that when the duct was pressured by one room, the extract wouldn't be vented into the other space, does such a thing exist.

The extract fans would likely be ceiling mounted, does anyone know if these have one way valves in them?

While i am looking at this, i have also assumed that both bathroom and en-suite will use a single soil pipe, which is vented through the flat roof

1203054018_dualextractarrangment.thumb.jpg.b1a95b69e3c36a187105b6c03ea08047.jpg

You might need to build a circuit the performs a logical OR function so that if light switch A or B is turned on power is sent to the fan.

I think this can be done using double pole switches. One pole sends power to the light, the other pole sends power to the fan.

Both rooms would need to be on same circuit. Will need more cores in the wire from light down to switches than normal.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Operate both rooms with one fan.  So when either room is in use an in line fan (after the branch) extracts air from both rooms. 

That would be good, though one potential snag is the potential fan noise from the en-suite in the master suite late at night, if the bathroom is used.

As with @Mr Punter we have a master bathroom and an ensuite shower room next to each other. BC wanted fan in both rooms so we fitted extractors with one way valves/flaps, the pipework from which ran into a t piece in the loft before exiting under eaves.

BC seemed happy and I haven't noticed any backdraft issues?

Cheers,

MM

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joth said:

Soil pipes don't tend to require open venting these days? Use a Durgo/AAV instead

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Air admittance valve

Interesting, and the use of one of these would negate the need for a penetration through the flat roof.

I presume this could be put on top of the SVP stack within the boxed in section, as long as there was a small vent to within the SVP boxing, like below

https://www.screwfix.com/p/map-vent-fixed-louvre-vent-with-flyscreen-white-229-x-76mm/5104d

On 30/01/2020 at 12:22, Temp said:

You might need to build a circuit the performs a logical OR function so that if light switch A or B is turned on power is sent to the fan.

I think this can be done using double pole switches. One pole sends power to the light, the other pole sends power to the fan.

Both rooms would need to be on same circuit. Will need more cores in the wire from light down to switches than normal.

My prefered method is a 2 gang switch, one for the light and one for the fan.  Then it becomes a whole lot simpler.  And when you go for a night pee, you don't have to turn the fan on.

• Like 1