'Secure by Design' - how secure?

jamiehamy

1 hour ago, dogman said:

Most people think its the police pushing this but it is actually the insurance companies.

Absolutely correct ..! Hence the reason to put anti bump cylinders in any Euro locks as if there is no trace of a break in = no insurance pay out ... some little scrotes even use the keys they find to lock the door afterwards ...

I've requested our doors with no cylinders - I just need the length and will order them from the company I get all my replacement locks from. They offer a guaranteed key cutting service too so I can get multiple keys. Also have the option of getting either a master key or keyed alike cylinders. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Absolutely correct ..! Hence the reason to put anti bump cylinders in any Euro locks as if there is no trace of a break in = no insurance pay out ... some little scrotes even use the keys they find to lock the door afterwards ...

I've requested our doors with no cylinders - I just need the length and will order them from the company I get all my replacement locks from. They offer a guaranteed key cutting service too so I can get multiple keys. Also have the option of getting either a master key or keyed alike cylinders. 

I had a challenge finding really long Eurolock barrels for our doors, as it seems the main market is for standard width uPVC doors and the like, rather than massive passive house standard doors.  IIRC, there were only a couple of companies that offered high security barrels at the length needed.  I have a feeling our barrels were around 130mm overall, something like 60/70, which doesn't seem that common.

9 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I had a challenge finding really long Eurolock barrels for our doors, as it seems the main market is for standard width uPVC doors and the like, rather than massive passive house standard doors.  IIRC, there were only a couple of companies that offered high security barrels at the length needed.  I have a feeling our barrels were around 130mm overall, something like 60/70, which doesn't seem that common.

I use these guys - keyed alike, Master key, all lengths are available. 

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Locksonline-EPS-Key-High-Security-Euro-Cylinders.html

Some people like thumb turns on the inside of doors. Don't if you have a letter box anywhere near the front door. I have seen a rather ingenious device that opened these in seconds.

Old style dead locks are no better. Seen a clever way to get past these as well. Not posting it but i bet you can all guess. Answers on a post card.

key.jpg.d15c612afd518e91fa2a203f278a68ca.jpg

6 hours ago, dogman said:

As for lock bumping it is possible but i have never seen it happen. 

Lock bumping was warned as my main hazard. 

So I specified anti-bump anti-snap cylinders.

One comment on no. of keys - when I ordered 3 keyed-alike thumbturn cylinders for home iirc we were given 2 keys per lock ie 6 so no need to order extra.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

Care to identify?

I think it all comes down to making your house slightly harder to get into than those around you, in the end, as I doubt you can stop a really determined scrote from gaining access.  It also depends on whether it looks as if you have anything worth nicking, too, as I'm sure these scrotes are pretty adept at picking places that look as if they might have readily saleable stuff and that are going to be quick to get in and out of.

I changed the Eurolocks in our old house just because the ones in the doors were really rubbish, and very easily snapped, but also because both our front and back door are hidden from view from anyone in the street, or even any neighbours, so a scrote could take ten or twenty minutes breaking in with little fear of being seen.

Our new house is far more visible, and in all probability changing the lock barrels probably wasn't worth the cost, but it keeps the insurance company happy!

I usually am not keen on CCTV ( except on public property) but with our new build we are not overlooked by anybody so cameras, even if good dummies, might be a good idea with PIR operated outside lights

Edited by joe90

54 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I usually am not keen on CCTV ( except on public property) but with our new build we are not overlooked by anybody so cameras, even if good dummies, might be a good idea with PIR operated outside lights

That's exactly my view, and the reason I've fitted CCTV with recorders (two, in separate locations, just to reduce the chance they will nick both of them). 

Outside security lights are restricted here, as the AONB is trying to get "Dark Skies" accredited or whatever, which means that the village really is pitch black on dark nights.   I can't even manage the few hundred yards to the village hall, I've found, as even the edge of the lane (and more importantly the stream) is impossible for me to make out on a dark night.  I tried it once, and ended up walking along, bent double and using the light from my phone screen to try and make out the edge of the lane.  I carry a small torch around all the time now.

The darkness does mean that we are, in some ways, more susceptible to being burgled, I suppose, but the counter to that is that any burglar would need to use a torch (or night vision goggles!) and would probably get noticed.  Also, the IR illuminators on the CCTV cameras give off a faint visible red glow, so they can be seen in the dark and may help to dissuade anyone from trying to get in, or at least get them to look elsewhere (I think we're the only house nearby that has an obvious CCTV installation).