Kitchen sinks

Stones

I'm just looking for a sink for our utility.  Don't have a huge budget but want as far as I can to get something reasonably robust.

There is plenty of price variation, at the cheapest end, it looks like you get 0.6mm thick stainless steel, up to 1.2mm if you spend several hundred.  

You get what you pay for...are sinks made from thicker steel worth the premium (as far as I can a lot of premium seems to be based on the sink design, the more contemporary the more expensive)?

On the subject of "cheap" stainless steel sinks.....we've got one and nasty it is too! :(

I wanted a Franke but the missus insisted we go to one of the sheds. Wickes I think ours came from.

It stains really badly, we have hard water anyway. But this stuff, Bar Keepers Friend is brilliant getting the stains off:

http://www.johnlewis.com/bar-keepers-friend-original-cleaning-powder-250g/p231892883?sku=231892883&s_kwcid=2dx92700013378569137&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CKGo9uXLlNACFW0A0wodwR8KHg&gclsrc=aw.ds

31 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I bought 43 of these for £1.20 each INC if you want a really cheap sink :)

shipping might be a bit of an issue though

14720512_10154629077594402_2538002123655791303_n.jpg

ibidder special was it?  Thanks for the offer, but too big for what we are looking for.

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

On the subject of "cheap" stainless steel sinks.....we've got one and nasty it is too! :(

I wanted a Franke but the missus insisted we go to one of the sheds. Wickes I think ours came from.

It stains really badly, we have hard water anyway. But this stuff, Bar Keepers Friend is brilliant getting the stains off:

http://www.johnlewis.com/bar-keepers-friend-original-cleaning-powder-250g/p231892883?sku=231892883&s_kwcid=2dx92700013378569137&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CKGo9uXLlNACFW0A0wodwR8KHg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is it nasty in any other way (apart from the staining) ?

My pet hate with sinks is those "universal" ones that are neither left nor right handed. You end up with a blank plug at the front of the sink where the tap would go if it were the other way around.  I did the wiring for a £14K kitchen a few weeks ago and that is what they fitted. If I had paid £14K for a kitchen (not that I would) I would not accept one of those.

Not clear how "compact" you mean. Dimension?

For our kitchen sink we paid £400 for a nice Franke, and it was worth it.

I also picked up a Franke for a utility for £100 a couple of years ago.

Currently Screwfix have *these* Franke utility sinks at £99 incl waste and fittings, but they are inset:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/franke-ascona-inset-sink-s-steel-1-bowl-860-x-510mm/79251

Our SF does free delivery if the order is over £50, but I am not clear if that applies to Mongolia and Outer Scotland.

860mm wide.

Good reviews.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

600mm to 620mm total width - so normal size bowl but 1/2 size draining board - something like this:

http://www.blanco-germany.com/uk/uk/sinks_kitchen/full_sink_range/product_detail.html?sid=01010010001#pros

Delivery can be a problem I agree - we've had plenty of companies that think that Orkney is somewhere in the South Atlantic, in the general vicinity of the Falklands!  The're quite happy to ship anywhere in Europe (maybe even Mongolia), but not the UK!  Trusty Toolstation deliver for free, and yes SF do as well.

I can see 2 other option - one would be a sit on top sink and drainer to cover the whole unit (which I expect you have considered - that would be my choice), the other a bigger sink taking up the whole thing with a sit on top removable drainer. I think the latter would be a great solution for a utility - space for large buckets etc.

Franke do these drainers (we have one fits inside the sink profile), but I have not seen their sinks and mini drainers, and a cute chopping board on wheels.

Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Stones said:

Is it nasty in any other way (apart from the staining) ?

A bit thin but then I'm comparing it to the Franke my niece got off eBay about the same time. Thicker steel and keeps it's finish.

Saying that the Wickes one doesn't flex when you grab the mixer like some really cheap ones. They sound like a certain Australian entertainer with a wobble board!

OK.

May have some gold dust for you, Stones - if you are imminently going past a Wickes or know a bod who is.

Wandering around my Wickes today, they seem to be clearing out their kitchen and bathroom displays, and my Wickes had a Franke approx 500mm wide sink, which was a sink plus a small side sink, for under £140. With an appropriate basket or cover either sink could become a drainer. Does Inverness have one?

The staff seemed to think the clearout was not a local thing.

I will attach piccies below in a few minutes.

(They also have a half price bathroom sale with some decent showers and wetrooms at half price until Nov 22nd, but I'll do that separately).

They also have *this* nice looking Astracast 500mm wide sink with lifetiem guarantee, deep drainer, shallow drainer, and ice bucket (!), for £200.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Astracast-Single-Bowl-Stainless-Steel-Compact-Sink/p/148595

Personally I would go with the Astracast as it has all the gubbins, if the quality is OK.

Ferdinand

20161107_121446.jpg

20161107_121458.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand