Connection Cost to Public Sewer

hmpmarketing

Hi All,

I am at the moment looking for quotes to connect to the main sewer system. I have attached a picture of the local map and have highlighted in green how far we are from connection point,  I assume it is about 10-12m away from the plot entrance.

sewer.jpg

I have recently been given a quote or nearly 20k to connect, I am finding this to be quite expensive, claims are they need to dig 4m deep in order to connect.

Is this a reasonable price to pay? Can you anyone share some thoughts? A septic tank is not an option as the water table won't allow it as it is quite shallow (about 1mile away from coast)

Thanks so much

Yes look at what No 14 does. Presumably the plot originated as No 14's garden. Are you ion the process of buying the plot or have you already completed? Id still negotiating (and assuming you are buying it from No 14) make sure you get a right to lay services under no 14's land and connect to a sewer connection on their land if possible.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

Interesting......where does No 14 tap into the network? Who has quoted that price? If no off mains solution is available then it seems it is going to be cost one has to bear.

PW.

5 minutes ago, valmet10 said:

would look at where no14 connects , would be far cheaper to connect in to there's

I'm not really sure where they tap, one could assume that the sewer map provided would not include this. Not sure if I would be able to find out where they connect :(

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Yes look at what No 14 does. Presumably the plot originated as No 14's garden. Are you ion the process of buying the plot or have you already completed? Id still negotiating (and assuming you are buying it from No 14) make sure you get a right to lay services under no 14's land and connect to a sewer connection on their land if possible.

Hi ProDave!

Plot has already been purchased (foundation work actually starting in 10 days or so).... 

Yes you are correct, the plot was originally part of no 14, although I have no idea how to find out where they tap into the sewer system....

1 minute ago, hmpmarketing said:

I'm not really sure where they tap, one could assume that the sewer map provided would not include this. Not sure if I would be able to find out where they connect :(

just have a walk and look where there soil pipes are and find manhole covers

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, valmet10 said:

just have a walk and look where there soil pipes are and find manhole covers

Will take a look

17 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Or wait for next frist and look for line of melt after they have all showered in the morning?

Ingenious strategy :)

£20k will be about right as that needs a road close plus rework of all of the road surfaces etc. 

Depths seem odd - that is a long way down ..! 

No.14 will most likely come straight along into the main run - it won't be a branch main so would need upgrading to 160mm which may be some of the cost. 

4 hours ago, hmpmarketing said:

Hi All,

I am at the moment looking for quotes to connect to the main sewer system. I have attached a picture of the local map and have highlighted in green how far we are from connection point,  I assume it is about 10-12m away from the plot entrance.

4 hours ago, hmpmarketing said:

Hi All,

sewer.jpg

I have recently been given a quote or nearly 20k to connect, I am finding this to be quite expensive, claims are they need to dig 4m deep in order to connect.

Is this a reasonable price to pay? Can you anyone share some thoughts? A septic tank is not an option as the water table won't allow it as it is quite shallow (about 1mile away from coast)

Thanks so much

Thanks so much

The plot we have backs onto the 18th green at ingol golf course The nearest connection would be houses that built 25 years ago that back onto the 18th green at the opposite side About 50 mtrs

United Utility's Same quote 20k plus vat

We have gone for a treatment plant which discharges into a pipe that runs across the golf

course and into the mains An illegal connection done when the houses were buit

8 hours ago, nod said:

The plot we have backs onto the 18th green at ingol golf course The nearest connection would be houses that built 25 years ago that back onto the 18th green at the opposite side About 50 mtrs

United Utility's Same quote 20k plus vat

We have gone for a treatment plant which discharges into a pipe that runs across the golf

course and into the mains An illegal connection done when the houses were buit

Thanks for your input once again!

20k would probably be fair IF I was that far from the connection point. Also, my local utility won't quote for the connection themselves, you need to get a contractor to do it !! Maybe the reason for the high quote.

I am chasing some other contractors to see if I can lower this a bit :)

Looking at that plan again:

I would speak to No 12 and No 10. If they would let you run the pipe under their front garden and connect to the spur that runs up alongside No 10, then that would avoid all the road opening and traffic management fees.

Start by offering each of them £1K for permission to cross their land and the disruption caused.

Making good a front garden after the work has to be cheaper than re surfacing a road and the cost of the works should be less.

Alternatively lok at the same crossing No 14's back garden and into the end of the run behind No 16

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Looking at that plan again:

I would speak to No 12 and No 10. If they would let you run the pipe under their front garden and connect to the spur that runs up alongside No 10, then that would avoid all the road opening and traffic management fees.

Start by offering each of them £1K for permission to cross their land and the disruption caused.

Making good a front garden after the work has to be cheaper than re surfacing a road and the cost of the works should be less.

Alternatively lok at the same crossing No 14's back garden and into the end of the run behind No 16

Not sure if Scotland and England are different but either of those would need the sewage provider consent in England due to the adoption rules. 

Is that a tarmac road or is it a block paved culdesac ..??