Plans for Building Regs.

Stewpot

Has anybody here prepared their own plans for building regs approval? If so, how did it go, and how did you know (or find) the information to include. I'm not worried about producing the actual drawings - I can be a pretty good draftsman when I put my mind to it - its the details.

Secondly - Scottish building regs are different from those in Englandandwales, but when that translates into a drawing, what are the differences then? For example, if I used one of the online services that take your planning drawings, and convert them into building regs drawings suited to E&W, would they still be acceptable in Scotland? And has anyone used one of those services? Are they any good? Does anyone know of one that operates in Scotland?

I didn't do mine but our architect produced quite a lot...

Lots of sections through key areas. Eg showing foundations, Walls and floors, beams and lintels, cavity trays and closures, damp proof courses and membranes. 

Calculations for any universal beams (aka RSJ).

Specifications for bricks and blocks (density of blocks and frost rating of bricks I think?)

Drainage layout showing stacks, approx pipe runs, inspection chambers.

Think we only had to provide U-Values for elements when we built our house but think you now need to provide SAP and predicted EPC? 

If any of the construction is non standard you may get asked to show how it complies with Part E sound. To avoid them asking you to do a sound test at the end (with risk of failure) you can provide so called Robust Design Detail drawings which I think you have to pay for. Before you do that  try asking the company selling you insulation to see if they have a Robust Detail Drawing that matches your construction detail (or change your design to match their drawing?). This shouldn't be necessary if you are using reasonably standard construction.

If its three storey there may need to be some detail drawings to show compliance with part B. Fire rated doors?

You might consider telling the BCO you have a pretty good idea what's required but ask if he has a check list?

Edit: Sorry I'm talking about England. Not sure how Scotland differs.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

While I don’t hold with spending large amounts on Architects fees

We spent £2500 on plans being drawn working drawing and submission 

Which we thought was money well spent 

As pointed outside above planners will put your ap to the bottom of the pile if there is anything missed 

I have only ever had them done once for a loft extension. As soon as i popped my head up through the loft hatch, i found that the existing ceiling joists were running in a different direction to the drawings that had been passed by building control. At that point they went in the bin, and i have always done my own since. I have always found building reg people fine. At my daughters last year, i had re-done the bathroom upstairs and fitted a new downstairs toilet. This involved moving the stack from the back of the house to the side, and doing some new drainage. When i started the rear extension, and bc came to look at the rear extension footings, he asked about the new soil pipe at the side. I told him with a bit of a smile that it had been done before we bought the house. He said, with a smile, stick it on the back of an envelope and he will include it with the extension, so we won't get any hassle when we come to sell. Top fella. Most of br drawings are cut and paste imho

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Temp said:

If any of the construction is non standard you may get asked to show how it complies with Part E sound.

Part E (passage of sound) and Robust Details mostly just applies to attached houses and to flats.  For detached houses the only things to consider are including some fibre wall insulation around bathrooms and bedrooms and between floors.  There is no sound testing required.