Concerning a GSHP

puntloos

It seems like a no-brainer to go for ASHP given the common claim that GSHP is only slightly more efficient and much more expensive.

But.. a few thoughts - mostly concerning "predicting the future"

- what if the planet warms meaningfully? 

- what if GSHP's become more efficient

- what if you want to install one later?

Honestly I'm just devilsadvocating at this point, but indeed getting a borehole going when there's no house there is a lot easier so I'm mildly wondering if perhaps I'd drill the hole and leave it or something..

If the planet warms meaningfully it swings it in favour of ASHP (partly or even completely eliminates the need for defrosting in cold weather)

If GSHP's become more efficient, then so too will ASHP's in all probability, but you would need to buy a new one to get that increase in efficiency.

If you want to install a GSHP later it will trash a large part of your garden.  Install collector pipes now even if you don't use them, just in case?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, puntloos said:

what if the planet warms meaningfully?

It is not just a case of moving the normal weather plot up the y-axis a degree or two.

Where I am, temperatures have already gone up over 1/2°C in the last 30 years or so.

But the weather is pretty similar.  The rises are only at the top end of the distributions, the times heating is not needed.

A *tiny* benefit of GSHP is they can provide summer cooling without having to go through planning permission. If you're making planning application anyway I guess you include the aircon external units now anyway, which removes that benefit

Installing the collector pipes is the most expensive part (doubly so if piled in, which I think they'd have to be in your plot), and I'd worry that they'd either sit there unused and forgotten after selling up, or even worse you eventually come to use them, and the installer/manufacturer refuses to use/warranty their use because they fail to meet the $random standard of the day that doesn't even exist today or something like that.

So I'd either install pipes now fully intending to use them right away, or just not bother. 

Edited by joth
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

What is your expected energy usage?

This is what really decides the technology.

(I have just heated up my kitchen to 24°C with my electrical grill, which I forgot to turn off, they do say to re-purpose stuff)

Not yet decided, so perhaps we should indeed wait until such calculations become available. We're not intending to go strict PH although perhaps we'll try to certify if it's not a massive hassle.. 

15 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

(I have just heated up my kitchen to 24°C with my electrical grill, which I forgot to turn off, they do say to re-purpose stuff)

We heated our kitchen from 23C to 25C yesterday when we cleaned the oven using pyrolysis. The weather was dull so it didn't seem too hot.