Worse hacksaw blade ever?

Temp

Some time ago I picked up a junior hacksaw at one of the sheds. Today I needed to hack some pipe in half to fit it in the car. This is the straightest cut it would make. Soon as it starts I'm twisting the saw as far as I can trying to steer it left. Totally useless.

Hacksaw.jpg.788b698db1286be2543c695bfd64061e.jpg

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

I bought a packet of standard hacksaw blades from a "hardware shop"  they were just so weak and brittle you could hardly use it for a minute before the blade just snapped.

bi metal type is the way to go --with a GOOD frame .

If they are cheap they will be crap-get sandvik  or something with a name 

you can always tell who can use a hacksaw --the paint will be off 80% of the blade --not just the middle 5" 

and use the right no of teeeth blade  for what you are cutting 

very important with mechanical hacksaw where the blades can be £15 a time

minimum of 3 teeth should be inthe thickness of the metal you are cutting at all time -- for most hand hack saw jobs 24 -28teeth is best option . and junior hacksaws have always been a joke,virtually extinct since multi cut tools came onthe scene

Well I hardly ever break hacksaw blades and here’s why. In school (back in the dark ages) our metalwork master had been a prisoner of war with the Japanese and their saws always cut on the pull rather than on the push, and all hacksaw blades in his workshop were inserted “backwards “, a hacksaw blade snaps because it jams and bends, they cannot bend when cutting on the pull. I have always done this with my hacksaw. It takes a little getting used to but I find it works well.

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Well I hardly ever break hacksaw blades and here’s why. In school (back in the dark ages) our metalwork master had been a prisoner of war with the Japanese and their saws always cut on the pull rather than on the push, and all hacksaw blades in his workshop were inserted “backwards “, a hacksaw blade snaps because it jams and bends, they cannot bend when cutting on the pull. I have always done this with my hacksaw. It takes a little getting used to but I find it works well.

Lucky he wasn't a prisoner of the Australians! I bet an upside down blade takes some getting used to ?

Always cut on the push here. Get more weight behind it.

As an apprentice we were expected to be able to cut accurately to 20 thou. 

21 hours ago, Onoff said:

As an apprentice we were expected to be able to cut accurately to 20 thou

That will be 1/2 mill in Roman Catholic.

40 years after starting my apprenticeship (toolmaking), I was wandering around the craft centre at my local college and some poor boy was hand filing a block of steel.

I think the reason they make/made us do this is because there are better ways of getting things done.

Can you imagine what it would cost to just get door hinges made by hand, let alone a car body panel.

When I see the words 'Artisan', I always think that I prefer training, skill, expertise and professionalism, especially if food is involved.

Edited by SteamyTea

34 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I still have the barn tool box I made as an apprentice, including making the hinges.

Me too. Mines in the citric acid bath still. Complete with little folded tray that sits in it.

I painted mine gold hammered finish.

23 hours ago, Onoff said:

Lucky he wasn't a prisoner of the Australians! I bet an upside down blade takes some getting used to

Now you mention it my junior hack must have been Australian. It wouldn't cut at all until I took the blade out and turned it teeth down.