Can I build my own Stairs?

Gimp

I'm guessing the obvious answer to my question is yes, but do you think there is a likelihood of Building Control will want it checked out by a SE or just put the onus for it being structurally sound down to me as its not the structure per se. The construction for the stairs I am thinking of is quite solid and should be perfectly stable & strong enough, it will be built between walls on all four sides as it will be a square spiral, the treads I am thinking of at this time will be solid down to the previous tread and up to the next one. Is it something they question even unless the stairs look possibly weak on construction?

Read the building regs.  The section is quite short, and the rules are quite clear.  There are constraints on the pitch, rise, goings, clearances on the landing, headroom, rails etc, but as long as your stairs comply with these and look solid, I really don't see the issue.  There is no requirement for a "competent person" (e.g. professional certificates) when is comes to timber work.

Never had a BI ask for structure on a stairs, they just walk up it.

Built loads mdf window boards work well for straight treads, 28mm mdf for winders, ply for risers, strings straight ones we used large size sawn carcusing planered on one face and one edge. Gorilla glue is good, "rubber blocks" under the noses, all nice and solid, best to build on Fridays.

Edited by tonyshouse
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike, funny got that site saved in my bookmarks also, its quite good isn't it.

Well, already familiar with the Part K Regs, I also know that there is a British Standard that applied in addition with some extra stuff just for Spirals, not a lot though I think.

Importantly though I can find no mention on strength of stairs so I'm guessing your both right and so long as I do a real solid construction, which having four walls on each side of the staircase should aid in then the Building Inspector probably won't bring it up. In any case if an SE is asked to do structural calcs it should be enough to pass anyway. I guess people could be building them all the time to a traditional specification, mine will be a little different but no less solid, possibly more so.

Only Info I could find was from Jen-Weld (pdf attached) on stair spec for materials used and the like so will probably go a bit by that also, so should be ok.  

JELD-WEN_UK_-_BWF_Stair_Design_Guide.pdf