A-Frames and timber cabins...

Mischiefsmum

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post so apologies if not.

I’ve fallen hard for rustic wood a-frames but I’m struggling to find a supplier in the uk. I’ve seen Avrame and MADi, both of which I like but have more of a sleek polished finished than I like. I much prefer the unfinished wood aesthetic and don’t need a premium finish or price. Is there anyone over here offering kits like that? Or any tips on searching for them?

Also, I like the looks of these Cabins. They say they can be made fully residential with building reg friendly options. Any thoughts? Anyone used anything similar?

i appreciate that while the building itself appears fairly reasonable costs will soon mount up with installation if needed, fitting out with electrics, plumbing, connecting services etc. But are these viable options? Am I barking up the wrong tree/timber build?

Many thanks.

I design and build log cabins. Yes, they can be made to comply with building regulations. But I wouldn't recommend them for a home, 99% of the time they are unmortgageable and depreciate rather than an appreciating asset like bricks and mortar. The one you have linked to is pretty much a wendy house in my eyes :P 

• Like 2

Was posted elsewhere on this forum, but the swiss also produce a fully wood structure that may be better suited for UK regs (below)

p.s. If you're having natural wood for the elevations of your house, ensure you're at least 6m away from any boundary of your plot. Less than that and you're going to have to fire treat it one way or another which can double the cost.

Have you seen the Aframes for sale on e bay. Ex holiday homes complete and on a site, need dismantling and removal £12,000 I did think of having a serious look as we will be putting up another couple of cabins in the next cool years, but an A frame would not be in keeping with my other cabins. 

TBH the one you linked to is barely more than a shed as @iSelfBuild said, I wouldn’t consider them fit for my holiday let’s let alone permanent residency 

my neighbour has a few cabins he lets out that where built to a standard that you could live in them, I looked at replacing mine with something similar to what he has, I was looking at about £100,000 to get one onto site and erected, then services on top, so £110,000 plus your plot plus planning plus landscaping. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

Your first task is to find land that stands a chance of getting planning permission for a log house. It's possible that the reason there are few suppliers is that it's not a common vernacular in the UK - so planning rules mean demand is low.

Planning rules are strange here, Although there is a strong vernacular here that you must keep to (white render finish, no more than 1 1/2 storey, 45 degree slate roof etc) it is surprising how many all timber houses are allowed that are completely out of keeping with the vernacular.  However I have seen a statement that A frame houses are no longer allowed. 

I googled log cabins in Plymouth (I think that's where the OP mentioned) and this site came up..

https://www.lastminute-cottages.co.uk/hot-tub-log-cabins-plymouth

No real log cabins but there are a number of holiday "lodges" for rent in the Callington area that look similar to this one.

Lodge.png.170914f411c12364b1bdc0d267d7b9ef.png

Perhaps thats not too dissimilar to an A frame Log cabin to make getting PP feasible ?

Callington is about 15 miles north west of Plymouth.

Just a heads up: Be clear in any planning application that you want permission for a house to live in all year round not a holiday let (which you can't).