Locker knob will not not tighten on screw

Moggaman

I've recently found that superglue is very good for this.  Takes a bit of patience, but dripping superglue into the hole in the knob, with it propped up to the hole is facing upwards, will very effectively harden the wood around the hole.  It takes a while for the superglue to cure sometimes, but once it has, and the wood around the hole is nice and hard, adding a bit more superglue to the screw thread, and then screwing the knob on pretty quickly, usually results in a pretty strong repair.

If you can use two different types of superglue for this, a low viscosity one to soak in and harden the wood, and a higher viscosity one on the screw thread, to fill the gaps better, then it will be a bit easier.  Having used loads of different types of superglue, I'm now sold on the EverBuild stuff stocked by Toolstation, amongst others.  It seems to have a reasonable shelf life, but best of all the nozzle on the bottles doesn't seem to get clogged.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Temp said:

Google zip kicker. 

Should have mentioned that, as I had a spray can of it, plus the same stuff in a thing like a fat felt pen, when I was fixing our oak architrave mitres with high viscosity superglue.  BTW, I can strongly recommend hidden fixing architrave this way, worked a treat, no problems at all in the ~5 years since I fitted them and no fixings visible.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Speak for ones self Ferdy?

Couldn't possibly comment, and girlf says she is too frustrated to say anthing ?.

And I assert that I am below average in this respect. You could check my FB but I lied to them in the interests of preventing ID fraud.

Edited by Ferdinand