Site preparation - tree felling :-(

Spent a few days on site last week to do some site prep while waiting for the next version of plans to be completed (yawn - another story!). We do know however that there is one diseased tree (a horse chestnut) and another tree that sits where the front door/porch will ultimately exist that needed to come out. The other tree (supposedly a walnut) had a branch that had started to encroach on the power line to next door.

Being an intrepid climber, and armed with a long lopper and a hand rasp saw, and a couple of long lengths of rope I was able to give them both a short back and sides, although the chestnut remains with a small mohican to be dealt with. In a couple of weekends time I shall be back on site with a chainsaw (and the rope) to finish things off.

We do have plans to replant once the major construction phase has been completed.

IMG_20191023_121346.jpg

IMG_20191023_171228.jpg

IMG-20191024-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20191024-WA0003.jpeg

Edited by BotusBuild
Clarificaiton
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Rope loops or small ratchets but ideally you don’t want a ladder in the tree while you’re doing this sort of stuff, it’s better to do it from a rope or a MEWP. 

no argument -- but not possible on sloping terrain  and i,m too old to doing a "tarzan " impersonation 

Edited by scottishjohn

1 hour ago, BotusBuild said:

In a couple of weekends time I shall be back on site with a chainsaw (and the rope) to finish things off.

Good work, probably very tiring work - if a little unnecessary. 

I don't think I would have spent all that time getting it to that stage, you would have saved a lot of time just having them all in one go with the chainsaw. 

Your right, I could have done that. However ....

For the first tree there was the small matter of a power line to considered ? Despite the neighbours on that side having sold their property recently, I didn't really want to upset them ? 

For both trees there were other trees and plants in their vicinities that I wanted to avoid damaging, particularly those belonging to the other neighbours who we do want keep happy ? 

Also, I had some leave needed using up, and some stress that needed relieving. Seemed like a good idea to combine both ?

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

talking of which ,has anybody seen wide ladders with some sort of device to fix to a tree when doing this 

other than tying a ratchet load strap around the top of ladder to tree 

Although you can't see in the photo's, I did tie the top of the ladder around the tree before performing any removal of branches, however I was never on the ladder when removing significantly sized pieces. It was a PITA untying, moving ladder, retying etc. but necessary for safety.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Rope loops or small ratchets but ideally you don’t want a ladder in the tree while you’re doing this sort of stuff, it’s better to do it from a rope or a MEWP. 

The ladder never left the ground apart from when I was moving it, and never ended up "in the tree" ?